The trick is to create a crisp salad with fresh vibrant flavors that isn't too sweet or too soupy. This is one of my favorite "dressings" for coleslaw. It can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator until you're ready to toss with the cabbage and veggies.
WORLD'S BEST CREAMY COLESLAW
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup grated yellow onion
- 1 green or red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 5 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1. Toss cabbage and carrots with salt in colander set over medium bowl. Let stand until cabbage wilts, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
2. Dump wilted cabbage and carrots into the bowl. Rinse thoroughly in cold water (ice water if serving slaw immediately). Pour vegetables back into colander, pressing, but not squeezing on them to drain. Pat dry with paper towels. (Can be stored in a zip-lock bag and refrigerated overnight.)
3. Pour cabbage and carrots back again into bowl. Add onions, bell pepper and parsley; toss to combine.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, buttermilk, celery seeds, salt, pepper and cayenne, and whisk well to dissolve the sugar.
5. Toss the dressing with cabbage mixture until evenly coated. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Place in the refrigerator, covered, to chill slightly before serving.