The pineapple adds flavor and is a nice alternative to raisins. I like to serve it sandwiched together with cream cheese and thinly sliced granny smith apples.
MOIST ZUCCHINI PINEAPPLE BREAD
MAKES: 1 loaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium, grated with a box grater)
- 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 medium sized bread tins.
2. In medium sized bowl, stir together flour, whole wheat flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugars, lemon juice, zest and vanilla with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Stir in zucchini and mix well.
4. Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Gently stir in pineapple and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes to an hour, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn onto wire racks to cool completely.