Sweet potatoes are quickly made in the microwave and mixed with chopped green bell pepper to complete this autumn dish.
• Coarsely chop the vegetables for the meat loaf in a food processor. Remove and add the green bell pepper for the side dish to coarsely chop without washing the bowl.
• The onion, carrot and mushrooms are cooked in a microwave. They can also be sauteed several minutes in a nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray instead.
• Start turkey loaf.
• Prepare potatoes.
Here are the ingredients you'll need.
To buy: 1 package button mushrooms, 3/4 pound sweet potatoes, 1 medium green bell pepper, 3/4 pound ground breast meat turkey, 1 bottle pure maple syrup, 1 jar Dijon mustard and 1 package breadcrumbs.
Staples: Olive oil, onion, carrots, egg, salt and black peppercorns.
VERMONT TURKEY LOAF
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped button mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound ground breast meat turkey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place onion, carrot and mushrooms in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high 3 minutes. Separate the egg white from the yolk and discard the yolk. Remove bowl from microwave and add the breadcrumbs, olive oil, turkey and egg white. Using a fork, mix all of the ingredients together until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix again. Line a baking tray with foil and shape meat into one loaf about 6 inches by 3 inches. Bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix maple syrup and mustard together. Remove turkey loaf from oven and poke several holes in it with a skewer. Spoon glaze over loaf. Return to oven 5 more minutes. Slice in half and serve one half to each person. Pour pan juices over each serving. Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 400 calories (23 percent from fat), 10.4 g fat (1.6 g saturated, 5.7 g monounsaturated), 96 mg cholesterol, 45.3 g protein, 30.5 g carbohydrates, 2.4 g fiber, 467 mg sodium.
MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- 3/4 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Microwave method: Wash potatoes, prick skin with a knife in several places, wrap in paper towel and microwave on high 5 minutes. Cut in half and scoop out flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork.
Stove-top method: Wash, peel and cut potatoes into 2-inch pieces. Place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain. Mash potatoes.
Add green pepper to the mashed potatoes. Mix in oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 217 calories (29 percent from fat), 7 g fat (1 g saturated, 4.9 g monounsaturated), no cholesterol, 3.2 g protein, 36.7 g carbohydrates, 6.1 g fiber, 97 mg sodium.