May 24, 2013
May 22, 2013
They launched the 'Arab Spring' but now yearn for the good old days of a strongman
May 20, 2013
Richard A. Serrano: Is Meir Kahane's assassin now a changed man?
Genetic copies of living people from embryos no longer science fiction
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom :
The Kosher Gourmet by Cathy Pollak:
Jews Inducted into Rock Hall of Fame; Anton Yelchin co-stars in New "Trek" film; Kutcher (but not Kunis) visits Israel; Jewish TV Star Praises Jewish Rap Star
WARNING: This WALNUT CAKE WITH PRALINE FROSTING, perfect for afternoon coffee, is addicting
May 13, 2013
Rabbi Nathan Lopes Cardozo: Why the giving of the document that would permanently change the world could only be done in desolation
David G. Savage:
Church-state, literally? Supreme Court weighing public school graduation in a church
May 10, 2013
Rabbi Berel Wein: Be all that you should be
May 8, 2013
Peter Ford: Why China is welcoming both Israel's Netanyahu and Palestinians' Abbas
Obama administration quietly backs out of appeal over new contraceptive mandate
At Kerry-Putin meeting, US-Russia relations thaw --- a tad
The Kosher Gourmet by Leela Cyd Ross :
Almost too pretty to eat, this colorful salad with Sicilian inspiration will tickle the taste buds and delight your visual sensibility
May 6, 2013
May 3, 2013
Kids, kittens the Same?
With employee perks at struggling Internet pioneer Yahoo! it's hard to tell
Artificial kidney offers hope to patients tethered to a dialysis machine
April 29, 2013
Poland's new Jewish museum celebrates life, doesn't revisit Holocaust
Terrorism in America: Is US missing a chance to learn from failed plots?
Boston Bomber's 'Svengali' Revealed
Tiny satellites + cellphones = cheaper 'eyes in the sky' for NASA
April 26, 2013
Clifford D. May:
Defense in the Age of Jihadist Terrorism
Sharon Palmer, R.D.:
How to feel your best -- with plenty of energy, a healthy weight and optimal mental and physical function -- without driving yourself batty
April 24, 2013
Jewish World Review
Jan. 18, 2013/ 7 Shevat, 5773
Sandy Hook: Obama's Latest Crisis To Exploit
Liberals have an uncanny knack for designing solutions that do not address the problem at hand, and they're doing it again in their current effort to use the Sandy Hook shootings as fodder for promoting stringent gun control measures.
It's as if President Obama and his fellow travelers lie in wait for the unfolding of big events that they can use to incite the public's passions and thereby gain popular support for otherwise unpopular government action.
Liberals aren't just exploiting Sandy Hook to promote their unpopular gun agenda; some are now invoking false charges of racism to aid their cause, as well. Rep. Hank Johnson asserted that the National Rifle Association opposes Obama's gun control policies because it "still cannot get over" the fact that the president is "black." Rep. Charles Rangel was a smidgeon more subtle, suggesting that while his state of New York is more progressive than other states (and has thus enacted strict gun control measures), some of the "Southern areas have cultures that we have to overcome."
Whether these pernicious allegations proceed from malice or ignorance, one thing is undeniable: Democrats often seek to inflame our emotions to impede an honest, good-faith discussion on the merits of various issues.
Obama demonstrated this in his news conference when he trotted out his 23 executive orders designed to address mass shootings. By using the parents of shooting victims and children as props he intended to imply that unless you support his measures, you oppose protecting children. He did more than imply that in his remarks when he expressed incredulity that anyone who cares about these shootings could possibly oppose his policies.
With these things in mind, here are a few questions to gun control proponents designed to stimulate a discussion of the actual subject rather than triggering reason-inhibiting emotional responses.
How is your model city of Chicago working out for you?
- Why do you attempt to mislead the public with the term "assault weapon" and falsely imply that semiautomatic weapons can fire repeatedly and quickly when you hold down the trigger?
- Why do you pretend that semiautomatics are more powerful than other guns when power is a function of their caliber or gauge and not their capacity to reload automatically?
- How do you explain that as assault weapons and large magazines have become more prevalent violent crime has been cut in half?
- Since we have recent empirical evidence that "assault" weapons bans do not work, what unstated reasons could be behind Obama's banning efforts? Why shouldn't Second Amendment advocates be suspicious?
- Why do you propose measures that will do nothing to prevent Sandy Hook-type massacres but will impede the ability of innocent private citizens to defend themselves against criminal assailants?
- Why aren't you sympathetic to the rights of ordinary citizens, whose home security is demonstrably enhanced by their right to own semiautomatic weapons?
- Why do you suppress news of the untold cases of innocent victims successfully defending themselves with firearms?
- Why do you focus all of your gun-policy energy on preventing mass shootings instead of other shootings, when the former constitute a small percentage of gun murders in this country? Why do you ignore that the vast majority of murders in the United States are committed with handguns?
- Why do you mock the constitutional right of citizens to bear arms not just for self-defense, which the Supreme Court affirmed in recent years, but as a fallback defense against a tyrannical government?
- Do you owe the public an apology for your unfulfilled, hysterical prophecies that conceal and carry laws would drive law-abiding citizens to Wild West violence?
- Why do you conveniently ignore the inconvenient fact that these mass shootings have mostly occurred in your beloved gun-free zones? If your driving goal is to prevent such massacres, why aren't you trying to eliminate such zones?
- I know you abhor letting any crisis go to waste, but how do you respond to the truism that none of Obama's main legislative proposals to control weapons would have prevented any of the recent massacres? Universal background checks wouldn't have prevented Sandy Hook. The assault weapons ban would not have applied to the weapons used at Sandy Hook or Aurora. High-capacity magazine bans wouldn't have deterred the massacres.
- Do you think liberals have any explaining to do about the fact that there may be a causal connection between their do-gooder laws concerning the incarceration of the mentally ill and these massacres?
- Why does the liberal mind always make a mad dash toward a federal government solution every time there's a problem or tragedy in society? Explain, for example, how Obama's proposal for 15,000 more law enforcement officers, 1,000 more "resource people" for schools and more federal dollars can help prevent violence in more than 100,000 schools. Why can't state governments decide whether they want to take action themselves and pay for it themselves?
- When will you all quit embarrassing yourselves by talking about tanks?
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
|BUY DAVID'S LATEST|
|Does this book sound intriguing? |
Buy it at a 34% discount by clicking here or order in KINDLE edition at a 45% discount by clicking here (Sales help fund JWR.)
David Limbaugh, a columnist and attorney practicing in Cape
Girardeau, Mo. Comment by clicking here.
© 2010, Creators Syndicate
Richard Z. Chesnoff
Frank J. Gaffney
Victor Davis Hanson
A. Barton Hinkle
Judge A. Napolitano
Cokie & Steve Roberts
Debra J. Saunders
J. D. Crowe
Ask Doctor K