March 5, 2014
Netanyahu's inaction to Obama's provocations sends powerful message
Kerry, after apparent criticism by Schumer, seeks to allay skepticism on diplomacy
How to ruin a perfectly good kid in 10 simple steps
2014 Oscars played it safe, but was faith lost in the shuffle?
Apple joins Hobby Lobby in touting corporate values beyond profit
March 3, 2014
Alina Dain Sharon: In the Hebrew calendar, a leap year has extra month, not day
Latest Obama appointment to prove Prez set on emasculating so-called Israel Lobby
Jewish World Review
Dec. 2, 2013/ 29 Kislev, 5774
What do you do when your dad is a billionaire?
In the case of Howard G. Buffett, whose dad is Warren Buffett, you become a farmer.
"I have 1,500 acres in Illinois," said Buffett.
But you also use your money to set up a Foundation to spread modern and sustainable farming practices to places like the Democratic Republic of Congo.
"We don't have to go ask for money. We don't have to do an annual fundraiser. We aren't making donors happy. We don't have that burden. So for us, we have to show up in the toughest places and we should be the risk capital and if we fail 9 our of 10 times that's okay because the time we succeed we're going to hit a grand slam," he said.
And how much money is he putting into this project?
"We'll spend about $130 million this year," said Buffett.
And he is very aware of the pitfalls of parachuting in to a culture you don't understand.
"You can't just show up, drop in and say this is how you're going to do it. Two things are probably going to happen: I'm probably going to create conflict at some point because everybody isn't getting the same thing as you've specialized what you've done and excluded other people. And the other thing is that at some point you go home."
Buffett has written a book about his work called "40 Chances" - based on the concept that given the human lifespan, a good farmer has about 40 seasons to get it right.
"We hope that our efforts contribute to peace and stability and we don't know the answer to that but we're willing to try," he said. "We're going to do as much as we can in the time we have left."
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Dave Ross hosts the Morning News on Seattle's KIRO Radio weekdays from 5-9 a.m. He spends his down time tinkering with electronic projects, writing novelty songs, shopping at thrift stores, and playing squash. As an avid hiker, he's earned the title Energizer Bunny from his friends; while they all stop to see stuff along the trail, Dave keeps going and going and going. He enjoys traveling internationally for work and pleasure with memorable stops in Baghdad, Qatar, Israel, Prague, Germany (to cover the Berlin Wall), China, Soviet Union, Niger, Senegal, and Iran.
You can listen to his daily column in audio format by clicking here.
• 10/25/13 The tale of two websites
• 10/23/13 Not since Moses
• 10/21/13 Another reason to sleep
• 10/21/13 Are you ready for 2020?
• 10/01/13 The real-life Bionic Man
• 09/30/13 The pilot exits the F-16 and it takes off without him
• 09/25/13 Human nature of everyday sadists demonstrated with bug grinder
• 09/23/13 Don't worry about the Sun, worry about . . .
• 09/19/13 The most dangerous person to search for on the Internet is . . .
• 09/18/13 The UN --- and the delicate art of doing nothing
• 09/16/13 The Internet Must Go!
• 08/29/13 When hospitals make you sicker
• 08/28/13 Smarter phone anticipates your behavior before you do
• 08/27/13 Getting tested for your dream job
• 08/26/13 A thug tells us how to stop gun trafficking
• 08/23/13 The better to see you with, Mr. Bad guy
• 08/22/13 The latest outburst of anarchy
• 08/21/13 Send al Qeda to crime ridden cities?
• 08/20/13 How honeybees are keeping men out of prison
• 08/19/13 Truth about Area 51 finally revealed
• 08/16/13 If you knew how much it cost to raise a child
• 08/15/13 The voice in the nursery
• 08/14/13 When license plates speak
• 08/13/13 The plant that wouldn't die
• 08/12/13 Class warfare at 35,000 feet is just fine
• 08/09/13 Want a good night's sleep? Become homeless
• 08/08/13 When eating too healthy becomes a problem
• 08/07/13 The Die Phone
• 08/06/13 Can't afford a doctor or medicine? There's always the Placebo App
• 08/05/13 Car prowlers taught lesson with call to mom
© 2013, Dave Ross