April 21, 2014
April 18, 2014
Rabbi Yonason Goldson: Clarifying one of the greatest philosophical conundrums in theology
The Kosher Gourmet by Julie Rothman Almondy, flourless torta del re (Italian king's cake), has royal roots, is simple to make, . . . but devour it because it's simply delicious
: Trying hard to be 'positive' but never succeeding? Blame Your Brain
April 14, 2014
Rabbi Dr Naftali Brawer: Passover frees us from the tyranny of time
: First degree: How America really recovered from a murder epidemic
: When love is not enough: Teaching your kids about the realities of adult relationships
: How you can tell if your financial adviser is setting you up for potential ruin
: Up to 500,000 people die each year from hepatitis C-related liver disease. New Treatment Has Over 90% Success Rate
: Eating Watermelon Can Help Control High Blood Pressure
April 11, 2014
Rabbi Hillel Goldberg: Silence is much more than golden
: How to value a child for who he is, not just what he does
: A Simple Blood Test Might Soon Diagnose Cancer
: Have A Slow Metabolism? Let Science Speed It Up For You
April 9, 2014
Jonathan Tobin: Why Did Kerry Lie About Israeli Blame?
Samuel G. Freedman
: A resolution 70 years later for a father's unsettling legacy of ashes from Dachau
: A resolution 70 years later for a father's unsettling legacy of ashes from Dachau
: How Beans, Peas, And Chickpeas Cleanse Bad Cholesterol and Lowers Risk of Heart Disease
April 8, 2014
Coffee Drinkers Rejoice! Your Cup Of Joe Can Prevent Death From Liver Disease
Electric 'Thinking Cap' Puts Your Brain Power Into High Gear
April 4, 2014
A life of love: How to build lasting relationships with your children
Older Women: Save Your Heart, Prevent Stroke Don't Drink Diet
Why 50 million Americans will still have spring allergies after taking meds
Teacher keeps promise to mail thousands of former students letters written by their past selves
April 2, 2014
Should South Carolina Jews be forced to maintain this chimney built by Germans serving the Nazis?
Get happy: 20 scientifically proven happiness activities
It's Genetic! Obesity and the 'Carb Breakdown' Gene
Jewish World Review
Nov. 4, 2013/ 1 Kislev, 5774
Ted Cruz and Ben Carson, a 2016 dream team
The presidential election of 2016 will be a defining moment for the nation and for the Republican Party.
Not so for the Democratic Party. There's no controversy among Democrats about what America should be and what their party is about: big government, welfare state socialism and secular humanism.
The only question about the Democratic presidential ticket is which welfare state socialist, secular humanist the party will nominate.
The picture for Republicans is more complex, and this makes Democrats happy. They see Republican Party dissension as division and weakness, which, in their view, can only help Democrats.
Key issues divide Republicans about principles (what is America about?) and political strategy (what are the best tactics for electing candidates and advancing the party agenda?).
So let me say what I see as the Republican "dream team" ticket for 2016: Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson.
Yes, I can hear Democrats saying, "Oh yes, I hope Star is right. This will guarantee another four years of our big government socialism. These tea party whackos could never win."
And I can hear the Republican "establishment" saying basically the same thing (any chance these folks have more in common with Democrats than they do with real conservatives?).
Both parties are being hammered now in the polls, but Republicans more than Democrats. And among Republicans, the tea party is really being hammered.
So how can I seriously say that a truly conservative tea party ticket is the answer for the Republican Party and the country?
First, looking at polls is the formula for political failure.
Apple co-founder and technology entrepreneur Steve Jobs was widely quoted for his disdain for market research. Jobs' view was that leaders and entrepreneurs don't start by asking people what they want, and then trying to give it to them. Visionaries see what problems need to be solved and deliver solutions that customers never dreamed of.
Political leadership is no different than business leadership in this regard. Polls reflect yesterday. Leadership reflects tomorrow.
> What is the relevant information we should be looking at today?
We should be looking at the ongoing dismal performance of the American economy and of the ongoing dismal state and breakdown of the American family.
The polling data we should look at is the deep dissatisfaction Americans feel about the state of the country, its direction, and the low levels of trust they have in their government and political leaders.
It's time for Americans to have a real choice. We know what the Democratic Party is going to put on the table for them.
A Cruz-Carson ticket would give Americans a clear, no-nonsense, honest alternative: two Americans who are really committed to what America is about and what made it great. That is traditional values, limited government, free markets and a strong national allegiance and defense.
Given the sweeping demographic changes of the country, it can't hurt to hear this from two self-made Americans: one of Spanish-speaking roots (Cruz's father emigrated from Castro's Cuba) and one African-American raised in a ghetto in Detroit.
Both are living examples that personal success is not about government programs but about taking personal responsibility. That freedom is about creating and serving, not about claiming and taking. And neither has interest in political game-playing.
Ironically, the tea party was born when the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare, came to life. Now, as the Obamacare disaster unfolds, Americans are starting to understand what the tea party saw then.
We shouldn't be trying to drag the tea party back into the amorphous masses. We need the tea party out front to lead.
I don't see a more powerful team to do this than Cruz-Carson.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Star Parker is an author and president of CURE, Center for Urban Renewal and Education.
• 10/28/13 Marriage and abortion are economic issues
• 10/21/13 Conservatives, change tactics but don't retreat
• 10/14/13 Budget crisis has its roots in erosion of values
• 10/07/13 'Hostages' of a system that works perfectly
• 09/30/13 Compromise in politics? No, confront
• 09/23/13 Ted Cruz isn't abnormal; Washington is
• 09/09/13 Our moral leader? Obama's actions undermine his stance
• 09/02/13 To build black wealth, change policies
• 08/26/13 March on Washington 2013 brings liberal distortion
• 08/19/13 Pastors must take back civil rights movement
• 08/12/13 Somehow those who brought us tthe ObamaCare nightmare are the moderates?
• 08/05/13 History will record that those who refused to 'compromise' today were not only stubborn but visionaries
• 07/29/13 A magnificent economic miracle has occurred during Obama's presidency
• 07/22/13 Free to succeed or: Stop picking on Wal-Mart!
• 07/15/13 Ex-Dem can express what GOP, U.S. need
• 07/08/13 Confused country: That place called America
• 07/01/13 Same-sex marriage is war on religion
• 06/24/13 Abortion: We're still having a hard time with words
• 06/17/13 Why 2 black Republicans switched parties
• 06/10/13 Kill Social Security before it kills our seniors
• 06/03/13 This Lady Liberty hails from New England much to libs' dismay
• 05/27/13 Suffering indignities from the party I embraced 25 years ago
• 05/20/13 The ultimate 'pro-choice' irony
• 05/13/13 Mark Sanford, welcome back to Washington
• 05/06/13 Planned Parenthood targets black women
• 04/29/13 Killer instincts: Seniors beware
• 04/22/13 Philadelphia abortion monster isn't an exception
• 04/15/13 Making Ben Carson cry 'Uncle' . . . Tom
• 04/08/13 Gang of 8 illegal alien proposal makes a bad situation even worse
• 04/01/13 Ending the enforcement of government-funded brainwashing
• 03/25/13 Pay attention, America, to the pathology for which low-income minority Americans are paying the dearest price
• 03/18/13 Let Israel trip open President Obama's eyes
• 03/11/13 The problem are the nuts, not the 'gun nuts'
• 03/04/13 P reserve gun rights, save black rights
• 02/25/13 Is the last line of Republican resistance to ObamaCare disintegrating?
• 02/18/13 Presidential Medal of Freedom winner owes Obama no apology
• 02/11/13 Does the Republican Party have a future?
• 02/04/13 Push for gun control misplaces blame
• 01/28/13 How the GOP can help destroy America
• 01/21/13 Are MLK's Christian values welcome today?
• 01/14/13 Roe v. Wade, 40 years later
• 01/07/13 D.C. is de-tached . . . from reality
• 12/31/12 Blacks are NRA's natural constituency
• 12/24/12The lesson of Newtown isn't guns. It's that there are social truths as well as individual truths
• 12/17/12 We must fight to restore America
• 12/07/12 Wonderful, innovative, compassionate --- and irresponsibly wrong
• 12/03/12 The Republican Hispanic challenge
• 11/26/12 A society in decline: Our definition of marriage should follow process, not principle?
• 11/19/12 Leadership is about identifying the truth, believing it and telling it in a way that people can grasp
• 11/11/12 How conservatives can win over blacks and Latinos
• 11/05/12 Racial divide has worsened under Obama
• 10/29/12 How trillions are poured down a black hole
• 10/21/12 Missouri Senate race model for the nation
• 10/15/12 On the road to 'death panels'
• 10/08/12 Why the Obama bubble still hasn't burst
• 10/01/12 To promote freedom abroad, practice it here
• 09/24/12 A time for truth, not word games
• 08/20/12 America ready for Paul Ryan's adult conversation
• 08/13/12 Our economic crisis is a values crisis
• 08/06/12 Black pastors press Democrats on gay marriage
• 07/30/12 Is Christianity now un-American?
• 07/23/12 Entrepreneurs, not politicians, build the nation's prosperity
• 07/16/12 The new American food stamp plantation
• 07/09/12 In search of conservative leadership
• 07/02/12 Light v. darkness in racial politics
• 06/25/12 Republicans missing chance on education
• 06/11/12: Raise levels of personal responsibility, not the minimum wage
• 06/11/12: Free societies soon won't be free if its citizens see freedom as something that should be of responsibility
• 06/04/12: Americans have become decidedly more pro-life
• 05/28/12: Booker's comments about Bain, capitalism should not surprise
• 05/21/12: Obama forcing blacks to make hard choices
• 05/14/12: Fairness? The struggle in our public spaces is about competing worldviews, not neutrality
• 05/07/12: Morality and economy are separate universes?
• 04/30/12: How to keep the poor poor
• 04/23/12: Obama's real 'stay-at-home mom' problem
• 04/16/12: Obama makes foul call for economic 'fairness'
• 04/09/12: GOP's black, Hispanic problem
• 04/02/12: A wakeup call to a nation still sleeping through a crisis
• 03/26/12: Supremes to confront new, energetic efforts to undermine the principles upon which this nation stands
• 03/19/12: Republican race is just getting started
• 03/12/12: Contraception flap 'defines deviancy down'
• 03/05/12: Breitbart's final message to the Left
• 02/27/12: Support for Santorum will grow despite attacks
• 02/20/12: Libs' recent victories fuel Santorum surge
• 02/06/12: Memo to Mitt: Whole nation is on government plantation
• 01/30/12: Obama's vision puts America last
• 01/23/12: Court ruling on ultrasound law worth celebrating
• 01/16/12: Capitalism on trial
• 01/09/12: NAACP plantation masters play race card again
• 01/02/12: Youths' support for Ron Paul is misplaced
• 12/26/11: In search of an ambiguous conservative leader
• 12/19/11: Thank U.S. troops, notably wounded warriors
• 12/12/11: Land of the envious and home of the victim
• 12/05/11: Payroll tax cut is another welfare scam
• 11/28/11: Pray every day that America does not lose its way
• 11/21/11: We're ignoring the Constitution
• 11/14/11: The central issue of our time will define the 2012 presidential election
• 11/07/11: Separation of . . . morality and economy?
• 10/31/11: Every American should listen to Paul Ryan
• 10/24/11: Disrespect for life and disrespect for property go hand in hand
• 10/17/11:The right argument for Cain
• 10/10/11: Occupy Wall Street: More from the culture of narcissism
• 10/03/11: Why so many blacks continue to fail
• 09/26/11: So many GOP debates, so few candidate revelations
• 09/19/11: The the last vestige of the triumph of hope over experience is throwing itself a party. They'll be passing out palms-up portions of pity, but few solutions
• 09/12/11: I'll defend Perry on Social Security Ponzi scheme
• 09/05/11: Marco Rubio's Courageous speech
• 08/28/11: The Steve Jobs/Martin Luther King Jr. Connection
• 08/19/11: Blacks' dilemma with Obama
© 2013, SCRIPPS HOWARD NEWS SERVICE