Jewish World Review Nov 25, 2010 / 18 Kislev, 5771
The best revenge movies ever
By Barry Koltnow
This is a special time of year in
We can thank the
Well, it's not really fair to blame Johnson for what we're about to do. After all, the revenge theme has been a constant in literature and film for as long as people have been reading books and watching movies.
"Faster," starring the wrestler-turned-actor as a man bent on avenging the death of his brother, didn't open until
Here is a countdown of the 30 best revenge movies of all time:
30. "The Italian Job" — Although some see this as a two-hour Mini Cooper commercial, it's still a pretty good action yarn.
29. "The Patriot" — If you ever wondered if
28. "The Karate Kid" — Those nasty bullies in the skeleton costumes were scary, but they were waxed on and waxed off.
27. "Four Brothers" — Four guys who don't look alike respond like a family to avenge the murder of their mother.
26. "Ghost" — Whoopi won an Oscar, but
24. "The Crow" — The late
23. "Sleepers" — A group of youngsters make a terrible mistake, pay dearly for that mistake and then grow up to exact revenge.
21. "V for Vendetta" — Not a lot of people saw it, but those who did thought it was one of the coolest revenge movies ever made.
20. "Straw Dogs" — If you're old enough to remember it, you'll remember how shocking it was to see
18. "Desperado" — This is
17. "Machete" — Veteran character actor
16. "Trading Places" — I've seen it 10 times and still don't fully understand how they got those two old goats at the end of the movie, but it was great.
15. "Nevada Smith" — You might not have seen this 1966 film, but it had
14. "Munich" — The Israelis taste revenge for the murders at the Olympics, but revenge often had a bitter taste.
13. "Mad Max" — A very young
12. "The Sting" —
11. "Kill Bill: Vol. 1 and 2" — Hell hath no fury like a bride scorned.
10. "Man on Fire" — Denzel is Dakota's bodyguard, and he takes that responsibility very seriously.
9. "Revenge of the Nerds" — Come on; the word revenge is in the title. Very realistic. In real life, the nerds got their revenge by running the world.
8. "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" —
7. "Carrie" — You might think twice about teasing that shy young girl in high school gym class.
6. "The Count of
5. "Braveheart" — It's Mel again, this time all done up for
4. "The Outlaw Josey Wales" — Of all the Clint Eastwood revenge Westerns ("Hang "
3. The "Bourne" trilogy — Once he figured out who he was, he went after the people who made him who he was.
2. "Gladiator" —
1. "Death Wish" — Forget the four sequels. Remember only the original. It struck a chord when it came out in 1974 that still resonates. Identifying one of the muggers has become one of the most frequently asked movie trivia questions of all time.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
© 2007, The Orange County Register; Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.