March 5, 2014
Netanyahu's inaction to Obama's provocations sends powerful message
Kerry, after apparent criticism by Schumer, seeks to allay skepticism on diplomacy
How to ruin a perfectly good kid in 10 simple steps
2014 Oscars played it safe, but was faith lost in the shuffle?
Apple joins Hobby Lobby in touting corporate values beyond profit
March 3, 2014
Alina Dain Sharon: In the Hebrew calendar, a leap year has extra month, not day
Latest Obama appointment to prove Prez set on emasculating so-called Israel Lobby
Jewish World Review
Oct. 22, 2013/ 18 Mar-Cheshvan, 5774
Another reason to sleep
Of course --- there are many reasons to sleep. It's warm and cozy, it doesn't involve working, many times there's a really attractive friend within reach. But this has to be the most persuasive reason yet.
Either you sleep, or your brain will clog.
And it's based on the latest research on how the brain takes out its garbage, believe it or not. And I'm not talking about mental garbage, as in used up thoughts or dog-eared dreams, but actual trash.
"The brain cares an awful lot about what its environment is like. If it's off just a little tiny bit it stops functioning properly," says neuroscientist Jeffrey Iliff.
And because that balance is so crucial, Iliff and his colleagues at the University of Rochester have spent years trying to figure out how the brain rids itself of waste, since it's not carried away by blood vessels.
Their experiments on mice discovered that the brain showers itself with a special fluid.
"That continuous flow sweeps along particles that are sitting in between the cells," says Iliff.
And here's where sleep comes in. Because during sleep, a strange thing happens: when the test mice were sleeping, the spaces between their brain cells opened up - increasing 60 percent - so this fluid could more easily sweep through, and clear out the toxins produced as a byproduct of thought.
"In Alzheimer's disease, one of the things that happens is amyloid beta clogs up the space between the cells and it's thought that that is what kills the neurons and causes the dementia that is the hallmark of Alzheimer's disease," says Iliff.
In other words, sleep is not just a mental necessity, but a physical necessity. If you don't sleep, the sewers back up. Making it more likely that and after a few years, your thoughts will too.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Dave Ross hosts the Morning News on Seattle's KIRO Radio weekdays from 5-9 a.m. He spends his down time tinkering with electronic projects, writing novelty songs, shopping at thrift stores, and playing squash. As an avid hiker, he's earned the title Energizer Bunny from his friends; while they all stop to see stuff along the trail, Dave keeps going and going and going. He enjoys traveling internationally for work and pleasure with memorable stops in Baghdad, Qatar, Israel, Prague, Germany (to cover the Berlin Wall), China, Soviet Union, Niger, Senegal, and Iran.
You can listen to his daily column in audio format by clicking here.
• 10/21/13 Are you ready for 2020?
• 10/01/13 The real-life Bionic Man
• 09/30/13 The pilot exits the F-16 and it takes off without him
• 09/25/13 Human nature of everyday sadists demonstrated with bug grinder
• 09/23/13 Don't worry about the Sun, worry about . . .
• 09/19/13 The most dangerous person to search for on the Internet is . . .
• 09/18/13 The UN --- and the delicate art of doing nothing
• 09/16/13 The Internet Must Go!
• 08/29/13 When hospitals make you sicker
• 08/28/13 Smarter phone anticipates your behavior before you do
• 08/27/13 Getting tested for your dream job
• 08/26/13 A thug tells us how to stop gun trafficking
• 08/23/13 The better to see you with, Mr. Bad guy
• 08/22/13 The latest outburst of anarchy
• 08/21/13 Send al Qeda to crime ridden cities?
• 08/20/13 How honeybees are keeping men out of prison
• 08/19/13 Truth about Area 51 finally revealed
• 08/16/13 If you knew how much it cost to raise a child
• 08/15/13 The voice in the nursery
• 08/14/13 When license plates speak
• 08/13/13 The plant that wouldn't die
• 08/12/13 Class warfare at 35,000 feet is just fine
• 08/09/13 Want a good night's sleep? Become homeless
• 08/08/13 When eating too healthy becomes a problem
• 08/07/13 The Die Phone
• 08/06/13 Can't afford a doctor or medicine? There's always the Placebo App
• 08/05/13 Car prowlers taught lesson with call to mom
© 2013, Dave Ross