March 5, 2014
Netanyahu's inaction to Obama's provocations sends powerful message
Kerry, after apparent criticism by Schumer, seeks to allay skepticism on diplomacy
How to ruin a perfectly good kid in 10 simple steps
2014 Oscars played it safe, but was faith lost in the shuffle?
Apple joins Hobby Lobby in touting corporate values beyond profit
March 3, 2014
Alina Dain Sharon: In the Hebrew calendar, a leap year has extra month, not day
Latest Obama appointment to prove Prez set on emasculating so-called Israel Lobby
Jewish World Review
Oct. 21, 2013/ 17 Mar-Cheshvan, 5774
Are you ready for 2020?
There is a mathematical formula created by a professor at the University of Connecticut which appears to be predicting a huge social shift --- and which may explain why we're in the debt ceiling crisis.
Professor Peter Turchin has spent years developing a model that uses numbers to explain historical cycles - like the fall of the Roman Empire, the Rise of Communism.
He measures things like income inequality, the minimum wage, and health - which he measures by life expectancy and the average height of the population.
And the bottom line is - the wider the gap between rich and poor, the unhappier the general population is, and the closer people get to revolution.
We are, right now, climbing that inequality curve and all the signs are there: low taxes on the rich and low wages for workers.
And there's another warning sign: a rising number of wealthy, educated elites competing for a fixed number of high political offices. The stiffer the competition, the more ruthless they become.
Professor Turchin's formula predicts that the income gap finally reaches a breaking point where violence - or the threat of violence - finally brings the pitchforks to the gates of the upper classes and they get scared enough to raise their own taxes, embrace unions and redistribute wealth, which mollifies the masses.
Professor Peter Turchin. He is quick to say that this is not some prophecy. It's mathematics.
"You can't have two great divisions, economic and social divisions."
According to him, the numbers say that unless something changes to reduce inequality, the leading indicators show political instability in America will peak in the year 2020. Which tells me that Congress should reach agreement promptly at midnight, December 31, 2019.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Dave Ross hosts the Morning News on Seattle's KIRO Radio weekdays from 5-9 a.m. He spends his down time tinkering with electronic projects, writing novelty songs, shopping at thrift stores, and playing squash. As an avid hiker, he's earned the title Energizer Bunny from his friends; while they all stop to see stuff along the trail, Dave keeps going and going and going. He enjoys traveling internationally for work and pleasure with memorable stops in Baghdad, Qatar, Israel, Prague, Germany (to cover the Berlin Wall), China, Soviet Union, Niger, Senegal, and Iran.
You can listen to his daily column in audio format by clicking here.
• 10/01/13 The real-life Bionic Man
• 09/30/13 The pilot exits the F-16 and it takes off without him
• 09/25/13 Human nature of everyday sadists demonstrated with bug grinder
• 09/23/13 Don't worry about the Sun, worry about . . .
• 09/19/13 The most dangerous person to search for on the Internet is . . .
• 09/18/13 The UN --- and the delicate art of doing nothing
• 09/16/13 The Internet Must Go!
• 08/29/13 When hospitals make you sicker
• 08/28/13 Smarter phone anticipates your behavior before you do
• 08/27/13 Getting tested for your dream job
• 08/26/13 A thug tells us how to stop gun trafficking
• 08/23/13 The better to see you with, Mr. Bad guy
• 08/22/13 The latest outburst of anarchy
• 08/21/13 Send al Qeda to crime ridden cities?
• 08/20/13 How honeybees are keeping men out of prison
• 08/19/13 Truth about Area 51 finally revealed
• 08/16/13 If you knew how much it cost to raise a child
• 08/15/13 The voice in the nursery
• 08/14/13 When license plates speak
• 08/13/13 The plant that wouldn't die
• 08/12/13 Class warfare at 35,000 feet is just fine
• 08/09/13 Want a good night's sleep? Become homeless
• 08/08/13 When eating too healthy becomes a problem
• 08/07/13 The Die Phone
• 08/06/13 Can't afford a doctor or medicine? There's always the Placebo App
• 08/05/13 Car prowlers taught lesson with call to mom
© 2013, Dave Ross