March 5, 2014
Netanyahu's inaction to Obama's provocations sends powerful message
Kerry, after apparent criticism by Schumer, seeks to allay skepticism on diplomacy
How to ruin a perfectly good kid in 10 simple steps
2014 Oscars played it safe, but was faith lost in the shuffle?
Apple joins Hobby Lobby in touting corporate values beyond profit
March 3, 2014
Alina Dain Sharon: In the Hebrew calendar, a leap year has extra month, not day
Latest Obama appointment to prove Prez set on emasculating so-called Israel Lobby
Jewish World Review
Oct. 25, 2013/ 21 Mar-Cheshvan, 5774
The tale of two websites
Congress is determined to find out why the new Obamacare website is so bad that even the attempts to fix it seemed to make it worse.
"We ran the numbers for a 62-year-old in Charlotte, North Carolina. According to healthcare.gov, she would pay $394 a month for a basic plan. But the actual plan is $634," said CBS's Jan Crawford who broke that story.
That's a pretty misleading estimate. But here's what I discovered: In three years, that 62-year-old from Charlotte will be able to go to another government website that will give her an accurate estimate in a few minutes.
I know this, because I tried it myself.
At 7:46 last night, I entered my zip code and my list of prescriptions and by 7:53 -- 7 minutes later -- I got a precise estimate of my premium -- $104.90, very affordable -- and my annual drug expenses.
I also got a list of 21 plans that allow me to see any doctor, and I got a list of pharmacies, two of which were right down the street.
All in seven minutes without entering a birthday or my name.
But Dave, you say, that can't possibly be healthcare.gov. And you're right. It's Medicare.gov.
Medicare.gov, opened for enrollment the same time Healthcare.gov did, but you haven't heard a peep about it because it's working fine.
And I thought to myself --- why didn't we just let people under 65 sign up for Medicare? It's already covering the oldest and sickest people in America ... putting young and healthy people into it could only improve its finances. Plus, the website works.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Dave Ross hosts the Morning News on Seattle's KIRO Radio weekdays from 5-9 a.m. He spends his down time tinkering with electronic projects, writing novelty songs, shopping at thrift stores, and playing squash. As an avid hiker, he's earned the title Energizer Bunny from his friends; while they all stop to see stuff along the trail, Dave keeps going and going and going. He enjoys traveling internationally for work and pleasure with memorable stops in Baghdad, Qatar, Israel, Prague, Germany (to cover the Berlin Wall), China, Soviet Union, Niger, Senegal, and Iran.
You can listen to his daily column in audio format by clicking here.
• 10/23/13 Not since Moses
• 10/21/13 Another reason to sleep
• 10/21/13 Are you ready for 2020?
• 10/01/13 The real-life Bionic Man
• 09/30/13 The pilot exits the F-16 and it takes off without him
• 09/25/13 Human nature of everyday sadists demonstrated with bug grinder
• 09/23/13 Don't worry about the Sun, worry about . . .
• 09/19/13 The most dangerous person to search for on the Internet is . . .
• 09/18/13 The UN --- and the delicate art of doing nothing
• 09/16/13 The Internet Must Go!
• 08/29/13 When hospitals make you sicker
• 08/28/13 Smarter phone anticipates your behavior before you do
• 08/27/13 Getting tested for your dream job
• 08/26/13 A thug tells us how to stop gun trafficking
• 08/23/13 The better to see you with, Mr. Bad guy
• 08/22/13 The latest outburst of anarchy
• 08/21/13 Send al Qeda to crime ridden cities?
• 08/20/13 How honeybees are keeping men out of prison
• 08/19/13 Truth about Area 51 finally revealed
• 08/16/13 If you knew how much it cost to raise a child
• 08/15/13 The voice in the nursery
• 08/14/13 When license plates speak
• 08/13/13 The plant that wouldn't die
• 08/12/13 Class warfare at 35,000 feet is just fine
• 08/09/13 Want a good night's sleep? Become homeless
• 08/08/13 When eating too healthy becomes a problem
• 08/07/13 The Die Phone
• 08/06/13 Can't afford a doctor or medicine? There's always the Placebo App
• 08/05/13 Car prowlers taught lesson with call to mom
© 2013, Dave Ross