Dec. 11, 2013
CIA's anti-terrorism NOC effort called 'colossal flop'
John Wilkinson, M.D.
: Mayo Clinic Medical Edge: Mild leg swelling could be signaling other medical issues
: In Windy City, religion confronts a gust of cold air
Dec. 2, 2013
Rabbi Moshe Grylak: Attack on Chanukah's scholar-warriors an affront to all people of faith
U.S. boxes in Israel, not Iran: Surrender in Geneva
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom
: Vanessa Bayer & Jacob, the Bar Mitzvah Boy; Adam Levine, nickname "the Bear Jew," is People's Sexiest; Eastwoods Need to Say "Kinehora!"
The Kosher Gourmet by Kim Ode:
Fried and gone to heaven: Dense, fried Slovenian doughnut-like rolls, krofi, on Chanukah is a treat you'll want to eat all year long
: Tracking babies' eyes, scientists find signs of autism in 2-month-olds
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom
: Hunger Games: Jewish Connections; A 'Minyan'of Jewish Celebs Recite the Gettysburg Address On-line; Walter Matthau's Reaction to JFK's Death
Nancy A. Youssef :
Christians too afraid to complain as treatment in new 'democracy' worsens
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom
: Jewish MLB managers; Past and Present; Movie News and Dancing W/the Stars Shocker; Paula Abdul's Israeli bat mitzvah and bio facts rarely reported
Jewish World Review
Oct 4, 2012/ 18 Tishrei, 5773
Judge Andrew P. Napolitano
President Obama is a failure as a president, and Gov. Romney is a failure as a candidate.
When he took office, Obama told the press that if he couldn't cure the economic mess he inherited from President George W. Bush in four years, he wouldn't deserve a second term. I guess he didn't anticipate making the mess worse.
When he took office, the federal government owed $11 trillion to its creditors; today it owes $16 trillion. When he took office, gasoline was running about $1.85 a gallon and today costs about $3.85 a gallon. This is price inflation that he directly caused by flooding the markets with cash, and that directly harms the middle class and the poor. Unemployment has remained north of 8 percent throughout his presidency for those still looking for a job, and about 16 percent if you count all able-bodied out-of-work adults, half of whom have stopped looking for work on his watch.
|RECEIVE LIBERTY LOVING COLUMNISTS IN YOUR INBOX … FOR FREE!|
Every weekday NewsAndOpinion.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". HUNDREDS of columnists and cartoonists regularly appear. Sign up for the daily update. It's free. Just click here.
He supported radical fanatics in their takeovers of the governments of Libya and Egypt, even going so far as to help them kill Col. Gadhafi, the former Libyan strongman who was once our ally. In the process, they opened jails in Libya, and out came some of the same folks the U.S. government has been fighting against in the Middle East since 2001. Obama pushed from power Hosni Mubarak, the strongman in Cairo, and he was replaced by the head of a criminal organization that Obama's own State Department has prohibited Americans from engaging with. (Query: If the government derives its powers from the consent of the governed, how can the government help a foreign group and at the same time prohibit Americans from doing the same?)
In his lust to build a new world order in the Middle East, a goal for which he roundly criticized President George W. Bush, Obama has unilaterally, unconstitutionally and unlawfully killed Americans there. He killed Osama bin Laden when he could have captured him, and he let a mob kill our ambassador to Libya when he could have protected him — all to justify a value-free foreign policy that has no lasting friends or enemies, just fleeting interests. And he has killed thousands in foreign lands in secret, using drones that will soon find their way here and come back to haunt him.
Perhaps the next month will prove me wrong on Romney, but so far he is putting the electorate to sleep. I believe him when he claims to favor free market approaches to the nation's economic ills, but I don't believe him when he rails against big government and central economic planning, because his record belies his words. He is, of course, the father of the individual mandate — a totalitarian giant leap forward for the welfare state. And he has stated that if elected and re-elected, he will borrow money every year he is in office until the last.
When he was interviewed with the president on "60 Minutes" last week, I purposely did not watch or listen to the show. The next morning, I read the transcript of the interview and thought many of Romney's answers were articulate and rational. Then I watched the same interview on tape and was bored nearly to death. Romney cannot put a fire in people's bellies. The only reason he gives for voting for him is that he is not Obama — a reason that appeals to just under half the country, but is not enough to seal the deal. He needs to recognize that his audience for victory is not his former neighbors in Boston, but Joe Sixpack in the heartland.
He supports all of Obama's killings in the Middle East, but claims he wants to control events there with a more muscular foreign policy. He cannot justify that view, along with the fact that it has failed and put us close to bankruptcy, to an electorate weary of wars. He rips into Obama's borrowing, but overlooks his running mate's voting record in Congress, which authorized all of it. At first he vowed to repeal Obamacare saying it is unconstitutional, and then he said he wants to keep the parts he likes, even if they are unconstitutional.
Can anyone get excited about Romney? Aside from a capitalistic attitude about the economy — as opposed to the president's love of central economic planning — does anyone know what views he will embrace on Inauguration Day? Do you know anyone just aching to vote for him, the way conservatives were for Ronald Reagan in 1980 and progressives were for Obama in 2008? I do not know of such a person.
What do we do? The president's failures are legion and have made all of us the worse for them. Gov. Romney's failures are obvious and will give us four more years of Obama. Who says the system is not fixed?
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Your comments are appreciated. Please send them by clicking here.
Andrew P. Napolitano, a former judge of the Superior Court of New Jersey, is the Senior Judicial Analyst at Fox News Channel and anchor of "FreedomWatch" on Fox Business Network.
• 09/27/12 The Arab Spring Becomes a Western Winter
• 08/23/12 Abortion and Rape
• 08/16/12 November's Choices
• 08/09/12 Gazillions
• 07/19/12 The Rule of Law
• 07/12/12 We Are at a Turning Point
• 07/03/12 A Vast New Federal Power
• 06/28/12 Restraining Arizona, Unleashing the President
• 06/21/12 Can the President Rewrite Federal Law?
• 06/15/12 Squealing Versus Killing
• 06/07/12 Where Is The Outrage?
• 05/31/12 The Secret Kill List
• 05/24/12 What If We Have Only Memories of Freedom?
• 05/17/12 Is There a Drone in Your Backyard?
• 05/10/12 What Constitutes a Fair Trial?
• 05/03/12 The President's Private War
• 04/26/12 Rick Perry Was Correct
• 04/19/12 A Government of Waste
• 04/12/12 What If the Government Rejects the Constitution?
• 03/29/12 Can the Government Force You To Eat Broccoli?
• 03/22/12 Is the CIA in Your Kitchen?
• 03/15/12 Can the Secret Service Tell You To Shut Up?
• 03/08/12 Can the President Kill You?
• 02/23/12 What If Democracy Is Bunk?
• 02/16/12 Time To Tame the Federal Beast
• 02/09/12 Do Catholics Have Too Many Babies?
• 02/02/12 What Is a Just War?
• 01/25/12 A Few Words About Abortion
• 01/20/12 How Much Economic Freedom Do We Have in the United States?
• 01/12/12 What If Elections Don't Matter?
• 01/05/12 Big Government Cannot Pay Its Bills, Again
• 12/29/11 The Case for Austerity
• 12/22/11 New Ideas or Fidelity to Old Principles?
• 12/15/11 The Government as Lawbreaker, Again
• 12/08/11 What if our rights didn't come from the Almighty or from our humanity, but from the government?
• 12/01/11 Can Congress Steal Your Constitutional Freedoms?
• 11/24/11 What if the Constitution No Longer Applied?
• 11/17/11 Congress and Secrecy
• 11/10/11 Does the Government Work for Us, or Do We Work for the Government?
• 11/03/11 Look at What the Government Has Done with Your Money
• 10/27/11 What Have the Wars Done for You?
• 10/20/11 Is Freedom in America a Myth or a Reality?
© 2012, ANDREW P. NAPOLITANO
DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS SYNDICATE
Richard Z. Chesnoff
Frank J. Gaffney
Victor Davis Hanson
A. Barton Hinkle
Judge A. Napolitano
Debra J. Saunders
J. D. Crowe
David Ray Skinner
Ask Doctor K