Jewish World Review Oct. 26, 2012/ 10 Mar-Cheshvan, 5773
Romney's ignored Mitt-zvahs
By Deroy Murdock
http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | Why is Mitt Romney rising? Americans who watched the GOP nominee debate President Obama never met the cold, greedy, sexist, racist, carcinogenic tax cheat that Team Obama promised would appear. The calm, steady, and reasonable gentleman who opposed Obama was no Gordon Gekko.
Americans might like Romney even more if they understood his random acts of kindness and significant feats of bravery. As Mara Gay, Dan Hirschhorn, and M. L. Nestel wrote for TheDaily.com: “A man weighed down by the image of a heartless corporate raider who can’t relate to people actually has a history of doing remarkably kind things for those in need.”
• After Joey O’Donnell, 12, died of cystic fibrosis in 1986, Romney built a playground in his honor. “There he was, with a hammer in his belt, the Mitt nobody sees,” the boy’s father and Romney’s neighbor, Joseph O’Donnell, told Michael Kranish and Scott Helman, authors of The Real Romney. A year later, Joey’s Park needed maintenance. “The next thing I know, my wife calls me up and says, ‘You’re not going to believe this, but Mitt Romney is down with a bunch of Boy Scouts and they’re working on the park.’ . . . He did it for like the next five years, without ever calling to say, ‘We’re doing this,’ without a reporter in tow, not looking for any credit.”
• On a chilly December night in the 1980s, a Mormon bishop told Romney about a parishioner’s daughter. This single mom, a non-church member, was shivering after her heating oil had been shut off. Romney and his sons stuffed their Gran Torino with firewood, drove from Boston’s affluent Belmont suburb to the modest Dorchester district, unloaded the logs, and built a fire for the relieved family.
• Ellen Hummel’s father worked with Romney at Bain Capital, but died when she was just 5. She later asked Romney to help her attend Columbia Medical School. He loaned her tuition money. Just before graduation, Hummel received a Christmas letter from Romney. “It was something caring,” Dr. Hummel, now a Michigan general practitioner, told TheDaily.com. “It was something saying, ‘This is a gift.’” Romney forgave Dr. Hummel’s loan.
• In 1995, Romney heard about the Nixons, a family who moved to Boston. Soon after, a car wreck left their sons paraplegic. Romney called and asked if they were available on Christmas Eve. Romney, his wife, and his sons arrived with a stereo and other gifts for the crippled boys. Romney offered to put them through college and supported them through numerous fundraisers. As their father told Kranish and Helman, “It wasn’t a one-time thing.”
Beyond generosity, Romney has demonstrated organizational leadership and personal courage while aiding others:
• Melissa Gay, Bain Capital partner Robert Gay’s daughter, vanished while visiting New York City in July 1996. Then-CEO Romney closed Bain’s Boston headquarters and jetted to Gotham to find the 14-year-old. Romney flew in his private-equity company’s 50 employees and transformed a Marriott Hotel into a command post. He consulted the NYPD and recruited private eyes. He dispatched staffers to enlist Bain’s business associates. Bain’s printer, R. R. Donnelly, produced 300,000 missing-person fliers. Bain’s CPAs at Price Waterhouse placed the handbills all over town. Duane Reade, a Bain-portfolio company, stuck leaflets in shopping bags at 52 local outlets.
Five days after Melissa disappeared, someone rang Bain’s tip line to ask about a reward. The NYPD traced the call to a New Jersey home, where a 17-year-old had, unbeknownst to his parents, hidden the disoriented and drugged child.
Romney’s focus and management saved Melissa. She now is a happily married mother who teaches fourth grade.
• Romney learned that a member of his church fractured his foot after tumbling from a ladder while trying to dislodge a hornet’s nest. As Philip Kleinexplained in the Washington Examiner, “Romney showed up and devised a way of removing it from the inside of the house.”
• A home once burst into flames near Romney’s residence. Kranish and Helman report that Romney “organized the gathered neighbors, and they began dashing into the house to rescue what they could: a desk, couches, books” until fire fighters arrived.
• The Romneys were vacationing in New Hampshire in 2003 when screams shook the Independence Day air. Some 900 feet from them, New Jersey’s Morrisey family and their leaky boat were sinking into Lake Winnipesaukee.
Romney’s sons Craig and Josh sped into the lake on a Jet Ski. “We tore out of there, and my dad hopped on the other Jet Ski and came out right after us,” Josh Romney told the Boston Herald. They found three men and three women bobbing in the water in barely buckled life vests. Massachusetts’s then-governor pulled the two younger women onto his three-seat Jet Ski, while his sons assisted their mother. They then whisked these women safely to shore, along with McKenzie, their Scottish Terrier. Meanwhile, the three men treaded water under the sons’ watchful eyes until Mitt made two more trips to rush them to dry land.
Previously, while spearheading the 2002 Olympics, Romney and his sons used a boat to rescue several kayakers as high winds slammed them onto rocks.
Why is the real Romney totally unlike the terrifying caricature that has haunted this campaign? Team Obama’s distortions and lies have conspired with Mitt Romney’s modesty to mask his good deeds. Instead, Romney fans should make these secrets famous.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Deroy Murdock is a columnist with Scripps Howard News Service and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University.
• 10/19/12: Obama's most dangerous disappointment
• 10/12/12: About Behghazi, Obama lied, people died --- and few bother to cry (out)
• 10/05//12: Obama the exacerbater
• 09/28/12: Barack Obama, slacker-in-chief
• 09/24/12: Citizens or subjects? Candidates offer choice
• 08/17/12: Dems ignore own issues with Medicare
• 08/13/12: Speech Romney should give on Bain
• 07/20/12: Obama's green projects bleeding red
• 07/13/12: EPA, why fine oil firms over fantasy biofuel?
• 07/06/12: How about remembering Mexican victims of 'Fast and Furious'?
• 06/29/12: Health-care victory will give Obama headaches
• 06/22/12: Mitt Romney, get on bus
• 06/18/12: The 'racist' Florida vote purge obeys federal law
• 06/08/12: Scott Walker's win should propel big reforms, stiffen pols' spines
• 06/01/12: Regulators regulate, and that's a problem
• 05/25/12: WWII hero Karski to receive U.S. Medal of Freedom
• 05/18/12: Not the behavior of normal Americans
• 05/18/12: Spacemen to NASA: Cool it on global warming
• 05/04/12: Libs want to plunge the penthouse
• 04/27/12: Obama and company are pushing hard on the pedal for deadlier cars
• 04/20/12: We don't need no stinkin' budget?
• 04/14/12: New Reasons to Hate Obamacare
• 04/06/12: Team Obama plays energy policy for laughs
• 03/30/12: Twitchy Dems need to let workers put tax-cut money in retirement funds
• 03/23/12: Why not $100-an-hour minimum wage?
• 03/15/12: The real (high) cost of Obama's health care act
• 03/09/12: Race-baiting Dems oppose voter ID
• 03/02/12: Forget kids --- today's debt hurts adults
• 02/24/12: Dems arise against Obamacare
• 02/17/12: The voting dead are understated
• 02/10/12: Holder takes on 'racist' photo-ID cards: Prejudice is widespread --- even Obama backed them
• 02/03/12: On tax plans, Gingrich trumps Romney
• 01/27/12: Photo IDs can protect elections, let dead rest
• 01/20/12: Romney runs hot and cold on global warming
• 01/13/12: Economic freedom declines in U.S.
• 01/06/12: Time to yank off Mitt's mask
• 12/23/11: Boehner hands Dems a gift
• 12/15/11: The U.S. could learn much from Hong Kong
• 12/09/11:$687 billion is available to Congress free of strings
• 12/02/11: Obama criticizes Wall Street but takes money from it
• 11/18/11: Puerto Rico shows Washington the way
• 11/11/11: Take heed, America: In Ohio even left-wing unionists voted to repeal ObamaCare
• 10/28/11: Thanks, Netanyahu, for surge of hardened terrorists
• 10/24/11:The Obama Spend-O-Rama
• 10/17/11: Cain stakes his viable claim just by showing up
• 10/07/11: Green jobs are national scandal
• 10/04/11: Obama proudly declares class war
• 09/23/11: Obama wrong about Do-Nothing Congress
• 09/16/11: Obama needs Ryan's vision on jobs
• 09/09/11: Reaganomics trounces Obamanomics
• 09/02/11: Labor leaders to Obama: Stop killing jobs
• 08/26/11: Pro-market Perry vaults over Romney in GOP race
• 08/19/11: Some rich Americans will not rest until Washington boosts their taxes
• 08/12/11: Hope, change and free birth control for all
• 08/05/11: Debt deal does virtually nothing
• 07/21/11: Dems pro-choice on abortion but little else
• 07/15/11: Debt deception: If only Dems were honest and GOPers were courageous
• 07/08/11: Congress' war on light bulb blows up
© 2011, SCRIPPS HOWARD NEWS SERVICE