• German Chancellor Angela Merkel offered to mediate the dispute between North Korea and the U.S. to avoid war. We have reached the point where the country that started the last two world wars is offering to be peacemaker. Dennis Rodman is now the second-craziest way to settle this thing.
• Hurricane Irma's power didn't live up to its cable news build-up Sunday. However TV viewers were glued to their TVs. The hype for Irma worked so well for ratings that CNN is going to start displaying a big orange blob over a U.S. map every ten minutes to show which way Donald is heading.
• North Korea's Kim Jung Un replied to the UN Security Council's threat of new sanctions if he doesn't give up his nukes Monday by threatening to destroy the U.S. At least he acknowledged the message from the UN. Did you ever get a restraining order and think, finally we are communicating.
• The House of Representatives is considering reducing entitlements to help reduce spending in the budget bill. They want closer scrutiny for food stamp recipients. Getting food stamps for sitting around and doing nothing is like getting paid two hundred thousand dollars a year to be in Congress.
Florida Governor Rick Scott ordered the complete evacuation of South Florida as Hurricane Irma neared. The TV news showed jammed freeways, airports and train stations. The last time we saw this many Jewish people on the move, Charlton Heston was leading them across the Red Sea.
• FEMA did everything they could to clear out Florida last week as Hurricane Irma approached landfall. A total of five hundred thousand people were told to evacuate South Florida. That included two hundred thousand due to the hurricane and three hundred thousand due to Trump's DACA order.
• Mother Nature blasted the U.S. with two hurricanes in two weeks with a third storm, Hurricane Jose, on the way. In addition, the geologists report an eight-point magnitude earthquake struck just off the west coast of Mexico, but luckily no Mexicans were affected. They were all in the United States.
• The California Assembly voted to name a stretch of the Ventura Freeway after Barack Obama Wednesday. It's no surprise. All you need to know about the political climate in L.A.'s Westside is that if Nicole Simpson had placed a Trump sign on her front lawn, anybody could have done it.
• CBS Late Night host Steven Colbert on Thursday gave a Heil Hitler salute while referring to President Trump. It's the show business fallback position. Giving the Hitler salute to Trump is an over-the-top gesture but it requires a lot less paperwork than moving to Canada like you promised.
• Bill Clinton endorsed Hillary's book What Happened, which will be released Tuesday to much press commentary, talk show appearances and book store signings. While Hillary is out on her book tour, Bill will remain home in New York. The first sign of old age is that your wife starts trusting you.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
JWR contributor Argus Hamilton is the host comedian at The Comedy Store in
Hollywood. To comment or arrange for speaking engagements.
Comment by clicking here.