April 21, 2014
April 18, 2014
Rabbi Yonason Goldson: Clarifying one of the greatest philosophical conundrums in theology
The Kosher Gourmet by Julie Rothman Almondy, flourless torta del re (Italian king's cake), has royal roots, is simple to make, . . . but devour it because it's simply delicious
: Trying hard to be 'positive' but never succeeding? Blame Your Brain
April 14, 2014
Rabbi Dr Naftali Brawer: Passover frees us from the tyranny of time
: First degree: How America really recovered from a murder epidemic
: When love is not enough: Teaching your kids about the realities of adult relationships
: How you can tell if your financial adviser is setting you up for potential ruin
: Up to 500,000 people die each year from hepatitis C-related liver disease. New Treatment Has Over 90% Success Rate
: Eating Watermelon Can Help Control High Blood Pressure
April 11, 2014
Rabbi Hillel Goldberg: Silence is much more than golden
: How to value a child for who he is, not just what he does
: A Simple Blood Test Might Soon Diagnose Cancer
: Have A Slow Metabolism? Let Science Speed It Up For You
April 9, 2014
Jonathan Tobin: Why Did Kerry Lie About Israeli Blame?
Samuel G. Freedman
: A resolution 70 years later for a father's unsettling legacy of ashes from Dachau
: A resolution 70 years later for a father's unsettling legacy of ashes from Dachau
: How Beans, Peas, And Chickpeas Cleanse Bad Cholesterol and Lowers Risk of Heart Disease
April 8, 2014
Coffee Drinkers Rejoice! Your Cup Of Joe Can Prevent Death From Liver Disease
Electric 'Thinking Cap' Puts Your Brain Power Into High Gear
April 4, 2014
A life of love: How to build lasting relationships with your children
Older Women: Save Your Heart, Prevent Stroke Don't Drink Diet
Why 50 million Americans will still have spring allergies after taking meds
Teacher keeps promise to mail thousands of former students letters written by their past selves
April 2, 2014
Should South Carolina Jews be forced to maintain this chimney built by Germans serving the Nazis?
Get happy: 20 scientifically proven happiness activities
It's Genetic! Obesity and the 'Carb Breakdown' Gene
Jewish World Review
Sep 23, 2013 / 19 Tishrei, 5774
Ted Cruz isn't abnormal; Washington is
According to a new Gallup poll, 55 percent of Americans say they have little to no confidence that they can rely on mass media to report the news "fully, accurately and fairly."
Forty-six percent say the media is too liberal and just 13 percent think it's too conservative.
Justification for this public sentiment is evident as the budget and debt-ceiling issues heat up and the press can hardly restrain its disdain for Tea Party Republicans and the idea that our nation may really be in crisis.
New York Times columnist David Brooks does a regular political commentary feature along with Mark Shields on the "PBS NewsHour." It's hard to believe that this feature is supposed to be balanced, with Brooks the alleged conservative and Shields the liberal. But for PBS, like The New York Times where Brooks writes his column, anyone not on the far left is a conservative.
In a recent "NewsHour" segment about the budget debate, Brooks talked about "the rise of Ted Cruzism."
According to Brooks, the Republican freshman senator from Texas is not a "normal" senator who sees himself in Congress to form alliances and pass legislation. Rather, per Brooks, Cruz is more a "media protest person."
The same thing is happening in the House, says Brooks. House Republicans are "not normal. ... They just want to obstruct."
My organization, the Center for Urban Renewal and Education, held an event in Washington two weeks ago titled "Reversing the Urban Plight."
About 100 black pastors and community leaders from around the country listened as black conservatives such as Dr. Ben Carson, economist Walter Williams, Louisiana State Sen. Elbert Guillory and CURE chairman and Family Research Council senior fellow Ken Blackwell talked about how freedom and conservative principles hold the key to resolving our urban crises.
At dinner, Cruz dropped by.
In stark contrast to what the PBS viewing audience heard from Brooks, this audience heard remarks from Cruz that everyone in the room found refreshingly normal.
Cruz had a crisp, clear message about getting America back on track and about what it will take to save our low-income urban communities.
He talked about the importance of school choice and personal retirement accounts for low-income Americans.
Only in Washington is it considered abnormal and obstructionist for a member of Congress to ring the alarm about the loss of freedom in America, to take a stand to restore it, and suggest that Americans, particularly low-income Americans, should be able to decide what kind of school they send their child to and to keep and save more of their hard-earned income.
In Cruz, the black pastors heard someone who wants to liberate, not obstruct. They understood that the obstructionists, whose agenda is holding onto and expanding their own power, come from the political class in Washington.
While the median American family income dropped 6.6 percent from 2000 to 2012, median family income in Washington, D.C., grew 23.3 percent -- by far the highest in the nation, new Census Bureau data show.
Let's recall that the tea party movement got going when it was clear in 2009 that America's new president saw more government rather than less as the answer to America's crisis.
The 2010 health care reform commonly called "Obamacare," which passed without a single Republican vote, has only gotten more unpopular. A USA Today/Pew Research Center poll this week shows 53 percent of Americans disprove of the new law and 42 percent approve. Forty one percent strongly disapprove and 26 percent strongly approve.
It's Washington that is abnormal, not Ted Cruz and tea party Republicans.
Only a left-wing press can conclude that the abnormal obstructionists are those taking a stand for freedom in a country that is supposed to be free.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Star Parker is an author and president of CURE, Center for Urban Renewal and Education.
• 09/09/13 Our moral leader? Obama's actions undermine his stance
• 09/02/13 To build black wealth, change policies
• 08/26/13 March on Washington 2013 brings liberal distortion
• 08/19/13 Pastors must take back civil rights movement
• 08/12/13 Somehow those who brought us tthe ObamaCare nightmare are the moderates?
• 08/05/13 History will record that those who refused to 'compromise' today were not only stubborn but visionaries
• 07/29/13 A magnificent economic miracle has occurred during Obama's presidency
• 07/22/13 Free to succeed or: Stop picking on Wal-Mart!
• 07/15/13 Ex-Dem can express what GOP, U.S. need
• 07/08/13 Confused country: That place called America
• 07/01/13 Same-sex marriage is war on religion
• 06/24/13 Abortion: We're still having a hard time with words
• 06/17/13 Why 2 black Republicans switched parties
• 06/10/13 Kill Social Security before it kills our seniors
• 06/03/13 This Lady Liberty hails from New England much to libs' dismay
• 05/27/13 Suffering indignities from the party I embraced 25 years ago
• 05/20/13 The ultimate 'pro-choice' irony
• 05/13/13 Mark Sanford, welcome back to Washington
• 05/06/13 Planned Parenthood targets black women
• 04/29/13 Killer instincts: Seniors beware
• 04/22/13 Philadelphia abortion monster isn't an exception
• 04/15/13 Making Ben Carson cry 'Uncle' . . . Tom
• 04/08/13 Gang of 8 illegal alien proposal makes a bad situation even worse
• 04/01/13 Ending the enforcement of government-funded brainwashing
• 03/25/13 Pay attention, America, to the pathology for which low-income minority Americans are paying the dearest price
• 03/18/13 Let Israel trip open President Obama's eyes
• 03/11/13 The problem are the nuts, not the 'gun nuts'
• 03/04/13 P reserve gun rights, save black rights
• 02/25/13 Is the last line of Republican resistance to ObamaCare disintegrating?
• 02/18/13 Presidential Medal of Freedom winner owes Obama no apology
• 02/11/13 Does the Republican Party have a future?
• 02/04/13 Push for gun control misplaces blame
• 01/28/13 How the GOP can help destroy America
• 01/21/13 Are MLK's Christian values welcome today?
• 01/14/13 Roe v. Wade, 40 years later
• 01/07/13 D.C. is de-tached . . . from reality
• 12/31/12 Blacks are NRA's natural constituency
• 12/24/12The lesson of Newtown isn't guns. It's that there are social truths as well as individual truths
• 12/17/12 We must fight to restore America
• 12/07/12 Wonderful, innovative, compassionate --- and irresponsibly wrong
• 12/03/12 The Republican Hispanic challenge
• 11/26/12 A society in decline: Our definition of marriage should follow process, not principle?
• 11/19/12 Leadership is about identifying the truth, believing it and telling it in a way that people can grasp
• 11/11/12 How conservatives can win over blacks and Latinos
• 11/05/12 Racial divide has worsened under Obama
• 10/29/12 How trillions are poured down a black hole
• 10/21/12 Missouri Senate race model for the nation
• 10/15/12 On the road to 'death panels'
• 10/08/12 Why the Obama bubble still hasn't burst
• 10/01/12 To promote freedom abroad, practice it here
• 09/24/12 A time for truth, not word games
• 08/20/12 America ready for Paul Ryan's adult conversation
• 08/13/12 Our economic crisis is a values crisis
• 08/06/12 Black pastors press Democrats on gay marriage
• 07/30/12 Is Christianity now un-American?
• 07/23/12 Entrepreneurs, not politicians, build the nation's prosperity
• 07/16/12 The new American food stamp plantation
• 07/09/12 In search of conservative leadership
• 07/02/12 Light v. darkness in racial politics
• 06/25/12 Republicans missing chance on education
• 06/11/12: Raise levels of personal responsibility, not the minimum wage
• 06/11/12: Free societies soon won't be free if its citizens see freedom as something that should be of responsibility
• 06/04/12: Americans have become decidedly more pro-life
• 05/28/12: Booker's comments about Bain, capitalism should not surprise
• 05/21/12: Obama forcing blacks to make hard choices
• 05/14/12: Fairness? The struggle in our public spaces is about competing worldviews, not neutrality
• 05/07/12: Morality and economy are separate universes?
• 04/30/12: How to keep the poor poor
• 04/23/12: Obama's real 'stay-at-home mom' problem
• 04/16/12: Obama makes foul call for economic 'fairness'
• 04/09/12: GOP's black, Hispanic problem
• 04/02/12: A wakeup call to a nation still sleeping through a crisis
• 03/26/12: Supremes to confront new, energetic efforts to undermine the principles upon which this nation stands
• 03/19/12: Republican race is just getting started
• 03/12/12: Contraception flap 'defines deviancy down'
• 03/05/12: Breitbart's final message to the Left
• 02/27/12: Support for Santorum will grow despite attacks
• 02/20/12: Libs' recent victories fuel Santorum surge
• 02/06/12: Memo to Mitt: Whole nation is on government plantation
• 01/30/12: Obama's vision puts America last
• 01/23/12: Court ruling on ultrasound law worth celebrating
• 01/16/12: Capitalism on trial
• 01/09/12: NAACP plantation masters play race card again
• 01/02/12: Youths' support for Ron Paul is misplaced
• 12/26/11: In search of an ambiguous conservative leader
• 12/19/11: Thank U.S. troops, notably wounded warriors
• 12/12/11: Land of the envious and home of the victim
• 12/05/11: Payroll tax cut is another welfare scam
• 11/28/11: Pray every day that America does not lose its way
• 11/21/11: We're ignoring the Constitution
• 11/14/11: The central issue of our time will define the 2012 presidential election
• 11/07/11: Separation of . . . morality and economy?
• 10/31/11: Every American should listen to Paul Ryan
• 10/24/11: Disrespect for life and disrespect for property go hand in hand
• 10/17/11:The right argument for Cain
• 10/10/11: Occupy Wall Street: More from the culture of narcissism
• 10/03/11: Why so many blacks continue to fail
• 09/26/11: So many GOP debates, so few candidate revelations
• 09/19/11: The the last vestige of the triumph of hope over experience is throwing itself a party. They'll be passing out palms-up portions of pity, but few solutions
• 09/12/11: I'll defend Perry on Social Security Ponzi scheme
• 09/05/11: Marco Rubio's Courageous speech
• 08/28/11: The Steve Jobs/Martin Luther King Jr. Connection
• 08/19/11: Blacks' dilemma with Obama
© 2013, SCRIPPS HOWARD NEWS SERVICE