The Illinois state legislature voted unanimously to designate the fourth of August as Barack Obama Day in a bill that was quickly signed into law by the governor. It will be a state holiday. It won't be a paid holiday, but in Obama's honor, there will be a five-thousand-dollar co-pay.
• USA Today reported that Barack Obama celebrated his fifty-sixth birthday at his new home in Washington D.C. over the weekend. Two terms in office really ages every president. Barack Obama's hair is now so white that yesterday it drove a Prius to Whole Foods to pick up a six-pack of Coors Lite.
• The White House angered the diversity crowd Friday by endorsing a GOP Senate immigration bill that'd cut legal immigration in half and favor new arrivals who speak English. Change can feel very unsettling. With all the Muslims moving to America, it just doesn't feel like Mexico anymore.
• Homeland Security cited Mexico's soaring economy as why immigration is down. Mexico has begun bottling and shipping truckloads of Coca-Cola in its original formula to L.A. grocery stores and it's really selling. It's the cleverest way the cocaine cartel ever thought to cut out the middle man.
• The Los Angeles Tourism Bureau forecasted record-high tourism in L.A. this month due to the improved economy, low gas prices and cheap car rental deals. The visitors get an eyeful. It's easy to enjoy the beauty of Southern California because you can never go more than five miles an hour.
• The White House notified the UN Friday the U.S. was pulling out of the Paris Climate Change Accord that's purported to protect the ozone from carbon dioxide. We're dealing with a precious commodity here. I'd never realized how expensive air is until I bought a bag of potato chips yesterday.
• Hiroshima's mayor called for a nuclear-free world on the anniversary of the U.S. atom bombing of the city. Yet had the U.S. invaded Japan, millions of Japanese people had committed to killing and dying for the emperor. They all pledged to drive as they normally do and take an American with them.
• President Trump relaxed at his golf club in Pinewood, New Jersey, this weekend as other world leaders took August vacations as well. Vladimir Putin was photographed spear-fishing in southern Siberia on Friday. It seemed a little cruel, but the manager of the aquarium had no authority to stop him.
• Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said he wants peace with the North Korean regime. Their new nuclear missile can reach Los Angeles, Chicago and New York. Robert Mueller just decided to investigate President Trump to see if he colluded with North Korea to fix the next presidential election.
• Special Counsel Bob Mueller is using a federal grand jury to investigate any Trump- Russia connection the last election. Trump said he expected the Special Counsel to impanel a grand jury to investigate someone as important as he is. Grand juries are the biggest and best juries in the world.
• Senate Republicans urged Robert Mueller to probe Russia ties to the Clinton Foundation. It's possible. No one knows how far into the last election Mueller's grand jury plans to investigate, but last Friday, Hillary was seen driving home on the Van Wyck Expressway in a white Ford Bronco.
• North Korea's Kim Jung Un acknowledged the Pentagon estimate that his long-range missiles could reach Los Angeles, Chicago and New York by next year. He'd certainly like to hit L.A. and New York. However North Korea denies any plans to attack Chicago, they know they'd be outgunned.
• China urged North Korea to give up its nukes and missiles Sunday as the UN Security Council added sanctions. It's so unnecessary. If North Koreans could only watch a five-minute video of Americans trying to work the Self-Checkout registers, they'd realize they have nothing to fear from us.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
JWR contributor Argus Hamilton is the host comedian at The Comedy Store in
Hollywood. To comment or arrange for speaking engagements.
Comment by clicking here.