Dec. 4, 2013
Dec. 2, 2013
Rabbi Moshe Grylak: Attack on Chanukah's scholar-warriors an affront to all people of faith
U.S. boxes in Israel, not Iran: Surrender in Geneva
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom
: Vanessa Bayer & Jacob, the Bar Mitzvah Boy; Adam Levine, nickname "the Bear Jew," is People's Sexiest; Eastwoods Need to Say "Kinehora!"
The Kosher Gourmet by Kim Ode:
Fried and gone to heaven: Dense, fried Slovenian doughnut-like rolls, krofi, on Chanukah is a treat you'll want to eat all year long
: Tracking babies' eyes, scientists find signs of autism in 2-month-olds
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom
: Hunger Games: Jewish Connections; A 'Minyan'of Jewish Celebs Recite the Gettysburg Address On-line; Walter Matthau's Reaction to JFK's Death
Nancy A. Youssef :
Christians too afraid to complain as treatment in new 'democracy' worsens
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom
: Jewish MLB managers; Past and Present; Movie News and Dancing W/the Stars Shocker; Paula Abdul's Israeli bat mitzvah and bio facts rarely reported
Jewish World Review
July 1, 2013/ 23 Tamuz, 5773
Same-sex marriage is war on religion
The Book of Proverbs, part of biblical canon, once a vital part of American culture, tells us: "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."
It's this haughty spirit, this pride that precedes destruction, that lies behind the Supreme Court's decision last week to bury the Defense of Marriage Act.
DOMA defined marriage, for purposes of federal law, as traditional marriage -- the union of man and woman.
This decision did not come out of nowhere. It did not happen in a vacuum. It is but the latest in a long process of the unraveling of American culture driven by pride -- the sense that we answer to no higher authority. That the two-legged animal man is master of the universe and decides, invents right and wrong, true and false.
There have been many stops on the way to this Supreme Court decision relegating marriage, as we have known and understood it for millennia, to a casual fiction that could come out of Hollywood.
One stop we might note was the Supreme Court's decision in 1980, Stone v. Graham, that said that posting the Ten Commandments in a public school is unconstitutional.
A free society must start with a foundation of rules. If our biblical tradition is not the source of these rules, what rules do define how we live and where do these rules come from?
The preamble of our Constitution tells us that its purpose is to secure the "blessings of liberty."
What is a blessing? The first definition in my Webster's New World Dictionary says that a blessing is "a statement of divine favor."
How can we secure divine favor in a nation for which the divine is unconstitutional? A prideful nation by definition must be a nation that rejects the idea of a blessing.
In the pride that precedes destruction in America of 2013, we reject that there are truths that don't come out of a laboratory. We reject that that there are truths that parents get from their parents and pass on to their children.
We reject that there are truths that, when children learn them from their parents, and embrace them and become responsible for them, they become adults.
So now we live in society in which there is nothing that distinguishes a child from an adult, that distinguishes responsible from irresponsible.
Who suffers the most?
First and foremost, children. Because they are deprived from learning and taking seriously the very rules of life's road that are critical to live successfully.
Even more so, children from minority families.
Sixty seven percent of black children are raised in single parent households. The collapse of black family life reflects this very welfare-state materialism, bestowed to blacks by elitist white liberals, that defines the culture that now rejects the sanctity of traditional marriage.
Can there be any doubt that the grandparents and great-grandparents of the five Supreme Court justices who just voted to delegitimize the sanctity of traditional marriage in America would be appalled by the decisions of their offspring?
Can there be any doubt that if the ancestors of these same Supreme Court justices had the values that their offspring are selling today, that that these judges would most likely not be who they are and sitting where they sit?
America is a free country. You can do what you want in private.
But when values of meaninglessness become sanctioned as part of our public and official culture we should know that this is the "pride" that "goes before destruction."
Let there be no doubt that same-sex marriage is about much more than marriage. It is a deliberate and conscious assault on religion and all traditional values.
We have only two options. Turn back to where we belong or watch the continuing collapse of our country.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Star Parker is an author and president of CURE, Center for Urban Renewal and Education.
• 06/24/13 Abortion: We're still having a hard time with words
• 06/17/13 Why 2 black Republicans switched parties
• 06/10/13 Kill Social Security before it kills our seniors
• 06/03/13 This Lady Liberty hails from New England much to libs' dismay
• 05/27/13 Suffering indignities from the party I embraced 25 years ago
• 05/20/13 The ultimate 'pro-choice' irony
• 05/13/13 Mark Sanford, welcome back to Washington
• 05/06/13 Planned Parenthood targets black women
• 04/29/13 Killer instincts: Seniors beware
• 04/22/13 Philadelphia abortion monster isn't an exception
• 04/15/13 Making Ben Carson cry 'Uncle' . . . Tom
• 04/08/13 Gang of 8 illegal alien proposal makes a bad situation even worse
• 04/01/13 Ending the enforcement of government-funded brainwashing
• 03/25/13 Pay attention, America, to the pathology for which low-income minority Americans are paying the dearest price
• 03/18/13 Let Israel trip open President Obama's eyes
• 03/11/13 The problem are the nuts, not the 'gun nuts'
• 03/04/13 P reserve gun rights, save black rights
• 02/25/13 Is the last line of Republican resistance to ObamaCare disintegrating?
• 02/18/13 Presidential Medal of Freedom winner owes Obama no apology
• 02/11/13 Does the Republican Party have a future?
• 02/04/13 Push for gun control misplaces blame
• 01/28/13 How the GOP can help destroy America
• 01/21/13 Are MLK's Christian values welcome today?
• 01/14/13 Roe v. Wade, 40 years later
• 01/07/13 D.C. is de-tached . . . from reality
• 12/31/12 Blacks are NRA's natural constituency
• 12/24/12The lesson of Newtown isn't guns. It's that there are social truths as well as individual truths
• 12/17/12 We must fight to restore America
• 12/07/12 Wonderful, innovative, compassionate --- and irresponsibly wrong
• 12/03/12 The Republican Hispanic challenge
• 11/26/12 A society in decline: Our definition of marriage should follow process, not principle?
• 11/19/12 Leadership is about identifying the truth, believing it and telling it in a way that people can grasp
• 11/11/12 How conservatives can win over blacks and Latinos
• 11/05/12 Racial divide has worsened under Obama
• 10/29/12 How trillions are poured down a black hole
• 10/21/12 Missouri Senate race model for the nation
• 10/15/12 On the road to 'death panels'
• 10/08/12 Why the Obama bubble still hasn't burst
• 10/01/12 To promote freedom abroad, practice it here
• 09/24/12 A time for truth, not word games
• 08/20/12 America ready for Paul Ryan's adult conversation
• 08/13/12 Our economic crisis is a values crisis
• 08/06/12 Black pastors press Democrats on gay marriage
• 07/30/12 Is Christianity now un-American?
• 07/23/12 Entrepreneurs, not politicians, build the nation's prosperity
• 07/16/12 The new American food stamp plantation
• 07/09/12 In search of conservative leadership
• 07/02/12 Light v. darkness in racial politics
• 06/25/12 Republicans missing chance on education
• 06/11/12: Raise levels of personal responsibility, not the minimum wage
• 06/11/12: Free societies soon won't be free if its citizens see freedom as something that should be of responsibility
• 06/04/12: Americans have become decidedly more pro-life
• 05/28/12: Booker's comments about Bain, capitalism should not surprise
• 05/21/12: Obama forcing blacks to make hard choices
• 05/14/12: Fairness? The struggle in our public spaces is about competing worldviews, not neutrality
• 05/07/12: Morality and economy are separate universes?
• 04/30/12: How to keep the poor poor
• 04/23/12: Obama's real 'stay-at-home mom' problem
• 04/16/12: Obama makes foul call for economic 'fairness'
• 04/09/12: GOP's black, Hispanic problem
• 04/02/12: A wakeup call to a nation still sleeping through a crisis
• 03/26/12: Supremes to confront new, energetic efforts to undermine the principles upon which this nation stands
• 03/19/12: Republican race is just getting started
• 03/12/12: Contraception flap 'defines deviancy down'
• 03/05/12: Breitbart's final message to the Left
• 02/27/12: Support for Santorum will grow despite attacks
• 02/20/12: Libs' recent victories fuel Santorum surge
• 02/06/12: Memo to Mitt: Whole nation is on government plantation
• 01/30/12: Obama's vision puts America last
• 01/23/12: Court ruling on ultrasound law worth celebrating
• 01/16/12: Capitalism on trial
• 01/09/12: NAACP plantation masters play race card again
• 01/02/12: Youths' support for Ron Paul is misplaced
• 12/26/11: In search of an ambiguous conservative leader
• 12/19/11: Thank U.S. troops, notably wounded warriors
• 12/12/11: Land of the envious and home of the victim
• 12/05/11: Payroll tax cut is another welfare scam
• 11/28/11: Pray every day that America does not lose its way
• 11/21/11: We're ignoring the Constitution
• 11/14/11: The central issue of our time will define the 2012 presidential election
• 11/07/11: Separation of . . . morality and economy?
• 10/31/11: Every American should listen to Paul Ryan
• 10/24/11: Disrespect for life and disrespect for property go hand in hand
• 10/17/11:The right argument for Cain
• 10/10/11: Occupy Wall Street: More from the culture of narcissism
• 10/03/11: Why so many blacks continue to fail
• 09/26/11: So many GOP debates, so few candidate revelations
• 09/19/11: The the last vestige of the triumph of hope over experience is throwing itself a party. They'll be passing out palms-up portions of pity, but few solutions
• 09/12/11: I'll defend Perry on Social Security Ponzi scheme
• 09/05/11: Marco Rubio's Courageous speech
• 08/28/11: The Steve Jobs/Martin Luther King Jr. Connection
• 08/19/11: Blacks' dilemma with Obama
© 2013, SCRIPPS HOWARD NEWS SERVICE
Richard Z. Chesnoff
Frank J. Gaffney
Victor Davis Hanson
A. Barton Hinkle
Judge A. Napolitano
Debra J. Saunders
J. D. Crowe
David Ray Skinner
Ask Doctor K