Dec. 9, 2013
: In Windy City, religion confronts a gust of cold air
Dec. 2, 2013
Rabbi Moshe Grylak: Attack on Chanukah's scholar-warriors an affront to all people of faith
U.S. boxes in Israel, not Iran: Surrender in Geneva
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom
: Vanessa Bayer & Jacob, the Bar Mitzvah Boy; Adam Levine, nickname "the Bear Jew," is People's Sexiest; Eastwoods Need to Say "Kinehora!"
The Kosher Gourmet by Kim Ode:
Fried and gone to heaven: Dense, fried Slovenian doughnut-like rolls, krofi, on Chanukah is a treat you'll want to eat all year long
: Tracking babies' eyes, scientists find signs of autism in 2-month-olds
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom
: Hunger Games: Jewish Connections; A 'Minyan'of Jewish Celebs Recite the Gettysburg Address On-line; Walter Matthau's Reaction to JFK's Death
Nancy A. Youssef :
Christians too afraid to complain as treatment in new 'democracy' worsens
Jewz in the Newz by Nate Bloom
: Jewish MLB managers; Past and Present; Movie News and Dancing W/the Stars Shocker; Paula Abdul's Israeli bat mitzvah and bio facts rarely reported
Jewish World Review
July 31, 2013
/ 24 Menachem-Av, 5773
Jewz in the Newz
Chelsea Handler's Ancestry Probed: Possible Nazi Connection; Jewish Supermodels and Hunky Jewish Actors: Let's Get a Matchmaker
CELEBRITY ANCESTRY SHOW RETURNS
"Who Do You Think You Are", a well-made show exploring celebrities' ancestry, which ran for three seasons on NBC, will return with eight new episodes on TLC, the cable station. (Began on Tuesday, July 23. Many encore showings.) Actress LISA KUDROW, 49, the series' producer, and the subject of a first season episode, told Variety: "I've never stopped hearing about how much people love [the show] and I've always known that we've had more great stories to share." Just one of the eight celebs has Jewish roots: comedian CHELSEA HANDLER, 38. She'll be profiled in the episode airing on Tuesday, Aug. 6., 9PM.
Handler, the daughter of a Jewish father and a non-Jewish, German born mother, was raised in her father's faith and identifies as Jewish. Advance reports on the Handler episode indicate that comedian is surprised and understandably upset when the program's family research experts find some material that indicates that her mother's family had some possibly disturbing interaction with the Nazi regime.
SUPER MODEL RIFF By the way, former supermodel Cindy Crawford is one of the celebs whose ancestry will be covered on the show. She's been married since 1998 to RANDE GERBER, 51, a former male model and the present owner of a chain of successful bars and lounges. The couple has two kids and, in years past, I caught press references to both being baptized. Back in 1999, "People" reported on their first child's birth: "Like Mom, [their son] will be raised Protestant but with exposure to his dad's Jewish traditions."
I remembered this as friends peppered me recently with two questions: is Behati Prinsloo, the supermodel who just got engaged to singer ADAM LEVINE, 34, Jewish? Is Alyssa Miller, the Sports Illustrated model who just became the girlfriend of actor JAKE GYLLENHAAL, 32, Jewish? The answer is that neither is Jewish.
It occurred to me that somebody should set up a dating service in which hot, "A" list male Jewish celebrities can meet Jewish supermodels, like ERIN HEATHERTON, 24, and BAR REFAELI, 28 (who have both dated Leonardo DiCaprio). Not only would such dating thrill my readersbut if such couples had progeny-- to paraphrase ADAM SANDLER's "Hanukkah Song": "they would be some good looking Jews."
|INTERESTED IN YOUR FAMILY HISTORY?|
Ten years of doing a Jewish celebrity column has turned Nate Bloom into something of an expert in finding basic family history records and articles mentioning a "searched-for" person. During these 10 years, he has put together a small team of "mavens" who aid his research. Most professional family history experts charge at least a $1000 for a full family history. However, many people just want to get started by tracing one particular family line.
So here's the deal: Send Nate an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, and tell him you saw this ad on Jewish World Review and include your phone number (area code too). Nate will contact you about doing a limited family history for a modest cost (no more than $100). No upfront cost. Open to everybody; of any religious/ethnic background.
If you get Ovation on your cable/satellite provider, you can watch these new programs: "Music Mavericks" profiles big-time pop stars (began July 18 at 9PM), including NEIL DIAMOND and PAUL SIMON (air date for their episodes announced next month); "Broadway Bash" features Broadway vets (no doubtmany Jewish) who give behind-the-scenes commentary on a re-run of the NBC show "Smash".(Began July 19, 10PM); and "Culture Pop", a round-up of arts news that began on July 26.
AT THE MOVIES
Opening last Friday, July 26, was the "The To-Do List," a "comedy" starring Aubrey Plaza ("Parks and Recreation") as a smart, but nerdy teen girl determined to become much less innocent before she goes off to college. While verbally explicit, and often featuring crude humor, the film has no nudity. "To-Do" is being heralded as a female-oriented equivalent of "American Pie". The strong cast includes RACHEL BILSON, 31, and ANDY SAMBERG, 34.
Info Note: Persons in capital letters, above, are deemed Jewish for the purpose of this column. For the purpose of the column, the person has to have at least one Jewish parent, be raised Jewish or secular, and not identify with a religion other than Judaism as an adult. Converts to Judaism are also, of course, considered Jewish, even if they don't have a Jewish parent.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in Washington and in the media consider "must reading." Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
To comment on this column, please click here.
• A Surprise Summer Hit; Natasha Lyonne's Comeback: Does It Mean There's Hope for Amanda Bynes?; Much Sympathy for actress Lea Michele, girlfriend of the late Cory Monteith. But She Isn't Jewish as Many Say
• New Adam Sandler Movie Ties Record for Most Jewish Actors; Silverstone Shares Milk; Hebrews Vie for Mets' First Base spot --- Other Baseball News
• Actress Ginnifer Goodwin re-discovers her faith: makes speech at synagogue; Humorous web series on re-discovering Judaism; new projects for Liev Schreiber and Zach Braff
• Rick Moranis' Jewish Album; A Gandolfini Jewish Connection; Michael Rapaport in New Comedy; Selma Blair Rubs Sheen Wrong; Liev Schreiber on Showtime
• 'The Voice' Singer's Karaite Background; Brad Pitt Battles Zombies in Israel w/help of Israeli actress; Rachelle Lefevre in Big Movie/Big Mini-Series
• Jewish Contestant on 'The Voice'; Will Smith's 'Jewish movie family'; Bravo Gives Long Island Jews the Jersey Shore Treatment; Magicians and More
• Memorial Day: Jews Serving and KIA in War on Terror; Liberace Bio-Pic; Jew Wins "Survivor"; Shalom, Dr. Brothers; More
• Jews Inducted into Rock Hall of Fame; Anton Yelchin co-stars in New "Trek" film; Kutcher (but not Kunis) visits Israel; Jewish TV Star Praises Jewish Rap Star
• The Great Gatsby's Jewish Ties; Jews in the "Time 100 list" List; People's Most Beautiful Women
• Iron Man's Jewish Connections; Marc Maron's New TV Show; Martin Landau Grows Up with Israel; Shalom, Allan Arbus
• Jewish Major Leaguers, 2013; New Movies and Comedy Show; Shalom, 'Lumpy' (Leave it to Beaver)
• Teen actor Jonah Bobo in New Flick: Hunky James Wolk on Mad Men; Erich Segal's Daughter Writes Prize-Winning Jewish Novel
• Jackie Robinson's Friend, Hank Greenberg; CNN's Jake Tapper; Texas County in the News is named for 19thC. Jewish soldier and Congressman
• The Back Story of the Ten Commandments (the film)--including Funny Stuff; Brit TV Dramas with a Jewish Connection
• Paul Rudd and Nat Wolff co-star in New Comedy; Al Pacino Plays Phil Spector; Tribe Heavy "Girls"; An Oscar Winner's Orthodox Son
• Bonnie Franklin, Valerie Harper; LA mayor's race; Albert Brooks on going to Shul
• The Land of Oz's Many Hebrews; Mila Kunis & a "Menschy" Company; Aly Raisman Dances & Jewish Figure Skaters at World Championship
• New on the Big Screen, Tube
• The Oscars: The Jewish Connection
• Jews in the National Hockey League; Possible Start of a Blockbuster Film Series; Star Wars Keep on Comin', Special TV Showing of Schindler's List
© 2013, Nate Bloom