March 5, 2014
Netanyahu's inaction to Obama's provocations sends powerful message
Kerry, after apparent criticism by Schumer, seeks to allay skepticism on diplomacy
How to ruin a perfectly good kid in 10 simple steps
2014 Oscars played it safe, but was faith lost in the shuffle?
Apple joins Hobby Lobby in touting corporate values beyond profit
March 3, 2014
Alina Dain Sharon: In the Hebrew calendar, a leap year has extra month, not day
Latest Obama appointment to prove Prez set on emasculating so-called Israel Lobby
Jewish World Review
July 15, 2013/ 8 Menachem-Av, 5773
Zimmerman is Not Guilty . . . What About the Media?
There are certain things polite people are not supposed to say out loud, and certainly not in public. I thought of this while listening to what passes for television analysis after the George Zimmerman verdict came in.
First, let's acknowledge that Trayvon Martin's death is a tragedy. I'll go so far as to say it was a tragedy that should never have happened. I think George Zimmerman, the "wannabe cop," was too vigilant that night.
I also think George Zimmerman profiled Trayvon Martin and profiled him because he was a young black man in a predominantly white neighborhood. But what polite people don't do in public is talk about why George Zimmerman was suspicious of 17-year old Trayvon Martin.
The morning after the verdict came in, Ben Jealous, who heads the NAACP, told Bob Schieffer on Face the Nation that, "Too many people in our country use color as grounds for suspicion."
He's right. But what he didn't get into is that they do it for a reason. And Bob Schieffer, a white man from Texas, wasn't about to press the head of the NAACP about why skin color might be grounds for suspicion.
The sad fact is that while African Americans make up only about 12 or 13 percent of the population, and young black men considerably less than that, they commit a disproportionate amount of crime. This is no secret. Everybody knows it's true, even anchormen and other white liberals. So when Zimmerman saw this black kid in his mostly white, gated community, he did some quick, reflexive calculations and thought the boy might be up to no good. Yes, he did use color as a ground for suspicion.
That doesn't make Trayvon Martin a criminal, of course, but it also doesn't make George Zimmerman a racist. He had the same thoughts about Trayvon Martin that most of us would have had, whether we admit it or not.
If I were black I wouldn't like this stereotyping. I'd say Trayvon Martin had as much right to be inside the gates of that community as George Zimmerman did. He shouldn't have been looked upon as a potential criminal.
But he was looked upon with suspicion because, as painful as it is to acknowledge, he looked like too many other black kids in hoodies who do bad things. Black people know this better than anyone else. They're the victims of most black crime. Remember what Jesse Jackson said several years back. "There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved." Does that make the Reverend Jackson a racist or a realist?
Television host Tavis Smiley, who also is black, was also on television Sunday morning. He told George Stephanopoulos on ABC's This Week, "For many Americans [the verdict] is another piece of evidence of the incontrovertible contempt that this nation often shows and displays for black men."
Stephanopoulos, being a polite white liberal man, of course didn't say, "Black men are doing a pretty good job of showing incontrovertible contempt for each other in our nation. Have you checked the crime statistics for Chicago on any given weekend? The Ku Klux Klan isn't killing those young black men. Black thugs are."
So-called civil rights leaders, like Al Sharpton, painted a picture of a black teenager walking home and being attacked by a white vigilante for absolutely no reason except that the boy was black and, of course, because the shooter was sort of white. If Sharpton and the others talked about the fight that immediately led up to the shooting, I missed it. Instead, they preferred to peddle a fairy tale version of what happened. They left out the ugly stuff that there was plenty of reason to believe Trayvon Martin was on top of George Zimmerman pummeling his head into the concrete sidewalk right before Zimmerman fired his gun. And, of course, none of the mostly white, mostly liberal anchors, said, "Hold on, you're leaving something very important out of your story."
This is what is known as showing good racial manners. It's how white people behave to show that they're not bigots like all those other white people. Never mind that treating black people like delicate flowers is a kind of soft bigotry all by itself. All that matters is that white people white liberals, mostly feel better Ö about themselves.
Another recurring theme coming from liberal analysts, black and white, after the verdict was that in America we don't put the same value on black lives as we do on white lives. That's certainly true when it comes to the liberal media.
Every weekend in big cities across America numerous black kids shoot and often kill each other. None of these stories get very much national media attention and none of them get wall-to-wall TV coverage the way the Zimmerman trial did. Is this because liberal white journalists don't put the same value on black lives as they do on white lives? It sure looks that way.
Let's end by stating the obvious: The single biggest reason the trial got so much attention is because it played into a narrative, a false one to be sure, but one that many blacks and many white liberals love to perpetuate. It's the Great American Drama about how white people get away with not only oppressing black people, but even get away with killing them. Isn't that what Tavis Smiley meant when he said, ""For many Americans [the verdict] is another piece of evidence of the incontrovertible contempt that this nation often shows and displays for black men."
Someone needs to tell Mr. Smiley, the Reverend Sharpton, the civil rights establishment and white liberals both in and out of the media that we are no longer living in 1955 Mississippi. If there is a crime involving two races today, the victim is most likely going to be white and the criminal is most likely going to be black not the other way around. That may be one more thing polite people aren't supposed to say out loud and certainly not in public.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
JWR contributor Bernard Goldberg, the television news reporter and author of several bestselling books, among them, Bias, a New York Times number one bestseller about how the media distort the news. He is widely seen as one of the most original writers and thinkers in broadcast journalism. Mr. Goldberg covered stories all over the world for CBS News and has won 10 Emmy awards for excellence in journalism. He now reports for the widely acclaimed HBO broadcast Real Sports.
He is a graduate of Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey and a member of the school's Hall of Distinguished Alumni and proprietor of BernardGoldberg.com.
• 07/09/13: Should We Ever Punish Journalists for Publishing Secret Information?
• 06/25/13: Re-Defining Racial Discrimination in America
• 06/18/13: Freedom in an Age of Terrorism
• 06/11/13: Which is More Honest: Roller Derby or the Obama Administration?
• 05/30/13: Did Eric Holder Lie to Congress?
• 05/23/13: How Do We Know Fox reporter Isn't a Commie Spy?
• 05/21/13: How High Does the IRS Scandal Go?
• 05/14/13: When Is a Scandal Not A Scandal?
• 05/09/13: Jodi Arias, Cable TV, and a Nation Fascinated by Shiny Objects
• 05/03/13: Global Warming May Lead to Sex --- for Money
• 04/30/13: Of Red Lines, Game Changers and U.S. Credibility
• 04/23/13: The Boston Marathon Bombings and the Importance of Getting the Story Right
• 04/15/13: Media Ignore Mass Murder Trial
• 04/09/13: Obama Compliments a Woman; Feminists Offended
• 04/04/13: When the Government Goes Bankrupt
• 03/18/13: Don't Blame Him --- He's Only the President
• 03/12/13: Sun Still Rises After Sequester So Prez Comes Up With Plan B To Insure Hardship
• 03/11/13: A President We Can't Be Proud Of
• 03/05/13: New Poll: Nation on Wrong Track . . . So Which Party Gets the Blame?
• 02/26/13: A President Who Is Rooting for Chaos
• 02/22/13: Obama: The World Is About to End . . . (Or Not)
• 02/19/13: Rubio Reaches for Water --- Crime of the Century
• 02/13/13: Drones, Double Standards and the So-Called Mainstream Media
• 02/06/13: One Small Step for Man, One Giant Step for Nut Jobs
• 01/30/13: Obama and Fox: Here We Go Again
• 01/25/13: CBS News Political Director to Barack Obama: Destroy the GOP
• 01/21/13: Just a Thought . . .
• 01/15/13: Al Gore is No Run of the Mill Hypocrite
• 01/14/13: The High Cost of Obama's America
• 01/08/13: Another Reason Libs Make Me Laugh
• 01/07/13: Al Gore Hates Oil But Loves Oil Money
• 12/31/12: Memo to GOP: Make Obama Own the Mess He's Created
• 12/24/12: GOP In More Trouble Than They Probably Know
• 12/18/12: Taking on Guns Will Be the Easy Part
• 12/17/12: When Obama's Words Mean Nothing
• 12/10/12: Do You Believe in Magic?
• 12/04/12: Obama and the Dolts Deserve Each Other
• 11/27/12: When the Ends Justify the Meanness
• 11/20/12: Our Mesmerizer-in-Chief
• 11/19/12: This Pretty Much Sums It Up . . .
• 11/12/12: Santa Claus and the GOP Civil War
• 11/07/12: Obama Wins . . . and Loses
• 11/01/12: Out on a Limb, Predicting A Big Victory For . . .
• 11/01/12: Should Mitt Talk to Bill?
• 10/30/12: Really Dumb Conservatives . . .
• 10/23/12: Debate #3: How Much Does Foreign Policy Matter If You Can't Find a Job?
• 10/22/12: When Conservatives Are As Dopey as Liberals . . .
• 10/19/12: Journalists' Who Don't Even Try to Hide Their Bias
• 10/17/12: Obama Stopped the Bleeding --- But Was That Enough to Change the Momentum?
• 10/15/12: No Winner in the Debate --- But Maybe a Loser
• 10/08/12: The October Surprise
• 10/04/12: Civil War in the GOP Could Go Nuclear on Nov 7
• 10/01/12: Even If He Wins, Obama Will Lose
• 09/27/12: Obama Picks Up a Crucial Demographic
• 09/26/12: If Obama Thinks He Inherited a Mess Four Years Ago . . .
• 09/24/12: A Good Way to Kill Free Speech
• 08/30/12: Facts I Have Uncovered About the Real Mitt Romney
• 08/23/12: Hope and Change, R.I.P.s
• 08/16/12: Who's Smarter: Joe Biden or Yogi Berra?
• 08/13/12: His Silence Makes Him Complicit
• 08/07/12: Did You Know that Harry Reid Got Rich Pimping Out HOs?
• 08/02/12: Like Birds on a Telephone Wire
• 07/30/12: What Me Worry? YES!
• 07/26/27: The Mystery Continues --- A Tale of Two Polls
• 07/16/27: We've Set a Low Bar for 'Courage'
• 07/11/27: Will Class Warfare Work?
• 07/09/27: A Brave New World
• 07/02/27: Now the Fun Really Starts
• 06/19/27: You Can't Make This Stuff Up . . .
• 06/19/12: I Would Have Fired Him Before He Got Back to the Office
• 06/12/12: Time to Crush the Myth about Gender Pay Inequality
• 06/06/12: The Desperate Campaign of Barack Obama
• 06/01/12: Hey Fatso! Listen Up!
• 05/25/12: Going After the Stupid Vote
• 05/22/12: The X Factor(s)!
• 05/15/12: Obama Has a Halo; Newsweek Has No Shame
• 05/10/12: Authoritarians on Campus
• 05/08/12: Obama's Path to Victory: Divide and Conquer
• 05/01/12: President Cool Meets Reality
• 04/25/12: Why Media Bias Matters
• 04/17/12: NYT: At It Again
• 04/13/12: Kissing up to the Rev. Al
• 04/10/12: This Just In: War Breaks Out --- Thank You, Lord
• 04/03/12: In Cold Blood?
• 03/27/12: Trayvon Martin and Media Hypocrisy
• 03/26/12: Time to Go, Rick
• 03/22/12: Obama's Mantra: Don't Blame Me
• 03/19/12: The U.N. Human Rights Council --- and other Jokes
• 03/13/12: Bias in the News: Blame it on Their Zip Code
• 03/06/12: Thank Heaven for Rich People --- a Second Look
• 02/29/12: Some Free Advice for the Republican Field
• 02/28/12: Do We Have a Right to Lie?
• 02/16/12: Can Obama Win Re-Election by Promising Free Stuff?
• 02/06/12: The 5 Stages of Mitt
• 02/02/12: Florida Has Spoken; Cue the Fat Lady
• 01/30/12: The Other Global Warming Story
• 01/26/12: They See Racists Everywhere . . .
• 01/24/12: The Arrogant and Clueless Mainstream Media
• 01/23/12: Gingrich Wins SC --- Media Help Big Time
• 01/18/12: A New Entry for 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America
• 01/12/12: The Dream Ticket Could Be a Conservative Nightmare
• 01/11/12: Now 'Anybody But Romney' Has a Name
• 12/30/11: I Have a Confession to Make . . .
• 12/27/11: Know When to Hold 'em and Know When to Fold 'em
• 12/20/11: NBC News, the KKK and the State of Journalism
• 12/19/11: Mitt and Newt: Two Rich Guys Arguing Over Money
• 12/13/11: Donald Trump Is the Greatest; Just Ask Him
• 12/12/11: Rob Peter to Pay Paul: Bad Economics! Good Politics?
• 12/07/11: Yeah . . . and Fish Don't Know They're Wet, Either
• 12/06/11: Did the Media Play Fair with Herman Cain?
• 12/05/11: Obama to Blue-Collar America: Adios!
• 11/29/11: We Can Stop the Crazy Train Before It Gets to Greece
• 11/22/11: Who Can Beat Obama?
• 11/15/11: The Dumbest Media Question I've Ever Heard
• 11/09/11: What If Herman Cain Did It?
• 11/08/11: What If Herman Cain Were a Lib?
• 11/02/11: Who Can Beat Obama?
• 11/01/11: We're Approaching the Tipping Point
• 10/25/11: A Response to the Angry Purists
• 10/18/11: They're Waiting for Reagan to Hit the Campaign Trail
• 10/12/11: Read This!!! --- But Only If You Have Nothing Better To Do
• 10/04/11: Can Obama Win Re-Election?
• 09/27/11: It's NOT the Economy Stupid, It's Theology
• 09/20/11: Bad News on the Doorstep
• 09/09/11: Hypocrisy!
• 09/06/11: Back to the Future
• 08/24/11: Hillary vs. Obama in 2012? It'll Never Happen --- I Don't Think
• 08/22/11: Warning: Conservatives May Be Harmful to Your Mental Health
• 08/17/11: Warren Buffett, Coddled Billionaire
• 08/11/11: Too Much Balance in the Media?
• 08/04/11: All Aboard the Crazy Train
• 08/01/11: Liberal Hate Speech
• 07/25/11: With All Due Respect, Go Fly a Kite
• 07/20/11: Who Is A Natural Born Citizen?
• 07/18/11: Guess Who's Not Paying Their Fair Share
• 07/12/11: Against More Taxes? You May Be a Terrorist!
• 07/11/11: Casey Anthony: The TV Show
• 07/06/11: Standards and Double Standards at MSNBC
• 06/29/11: Is Jon Stewart A Racist?
• 06/21/11: Let's Play the Race Card --- Just for Fun Of Course
• 06/20/11: Sarah Palin and Weiner's Weiner
• 06/03/11: Memo to GOP: Turn Mr. Obama into Mr. Yesterday
• 05/20/11: I Get Letters From People Who Should Be Locked Up
• 05/09/11: Is Torture Ever Justified?
• 05/02/11: The Promiscuous Use of the R Word
• 04/19/11: The Man Behind the Million Dollar Smile
• 04/12/11: What's the Difference Between Libs in Politics and Libs in the Media?
• 04/08/11: An Idea Whose Time Has Come and Gone
• 03/28/11: The Pundits Are Driving Me Crazy --- And You Thought Qadaffi Is Nuts
• 03/14/11: No Liberal Bias at NPR Just Ask NPR
• 03/10/11: The media's frustration
• 03/01/11: Progressives Lost in Time . . .
• 02/23/11: The Lamestreams Strike Again --- This Time in Madison
• 02/03/11: You MUST Own a Gun --- Or Else!
• 01/20/11: It Was Horrible, I tell you … HORRIBLE!
• 01/11/11: Here We Go Again . . .
• 01/06/11: You Go, Oprah
• 12/28/10: A Year-Ender --- The MSM and Obama's Fall from Grace
• 12/14/10: Thank Heaven for Rich People
• 12/02/10: The Phony Nobility of Wikileaks
© 2011, Bernard Goldberg