Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer vowed that Democrats will shut down the government rather than agree to fund Trump's border wall with Mexico. This could backfire. It never occurs to Democrats that Hispanics may be in favor of a border wall because it keeps their in-laws from visiting.
• New York Mayor Bill DeBlasio led the coalition of big city mayors to defy the threat of the loss of federal money for breaking the law and being Sanctuary Cities. The entire controversy begs the question. If you rob a bank in a Sanctuary City, is it illegal or is it just an undocumented withdrawal?
• The New York Post quoted CIA sources warning that ISIS is trying to cross the border into the U.S. We don't need a wall at the border, we just need to give the Comanche and Apache Indians their land back. Surely ISIS knows that getting eaten by ants would make for a lousy recruiting video.
• The Census Bureau reported another low birth rate in the United States last year for the tenth straight year. The news gets better. The Social security Administration reports that the most popular baby names last year were Noah and Emma, while the least popular names were Donald and Hillary.
• The Census Bureau blamed the falling U.S. birth rate on the reluctance by Millennials to marry and start families. It's not easy. The most effective form of birth control is, if a young couple is thinking of having their first baby, Child Services sends a teenager over to live with them for a month.
• President Obama praised Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos for her work to expand charter schools and scrap Common Core. It's tough. Common Core teaches kids that Jack and Jill went up the hill to live in a gated community, and the Three Little Pigs shot and killed an unarmed black man.
• Joe Biden kicked off the next presidential race by announcing a trip to New Hampshire Monday to get the jump on rivals Hillary, Bernie and Jerry Brown. The four have a combined age of three hundred years. They can't attend memorial services at Arlington Cemetery without being stalked by guys with shovels.
• The White House backed Ukraine against Russia, ripped Russia for arming Iran then sent U.S. destroyers into the Black Sea. Hold on to your hat. Democrats may soon be investigating Trump for colluding with the Russians from the safety of the atomic bomb shelter underneath the U.S. Capitol.
• The L.A. Times reported that police arrests in L.A. have plummeted forty percent in the last ten years. Community policing policies have greatly reduced violence in urban housing. Los Angeles neighborhoods are so quiet at night, the only time you ever hear any noise is when Guatemala scores.
• Republicans are infuriated by more evidence that President Obama unmasked Trump staffers while the NSA spied on Russians. At the same time Democrats are furious over Mike Flynn's income from Russia. The U.S. would have the greatest economy in the world if only being offended paid better.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
JWR contributor Argus Hamilton is the host comedian at The Comedy Store in
Hollywood. To comment or arrange for speaking engagements.
Comment by clicking here.