April 21, 2014
April 18, 2014
Rabbi Yonason Goldson: Clarifying one of the greatest philosophical conundrums in theology
The Kosher Gourmet by Julie Rothman Almondy, flourless torta del re (Italian king's cake), has royal roots, is simple to make, . . . but devour it because it's simply delicious
: Trying hard to be 'positive' but never succeeding? Blame Your Brain
April 14, 2014
Rabbi Dr Naftali Brawer: Passover frees us from the tyranny of time
: First degree: How America really recovered from a murder epidemic
: When love is not enough: Teaching your kids about the realities of adult relationships
: How you can tell if your financial adviser is setting you up for potential ruin
: Up to 500,000 people die each year from hepatitis C-related liver disease. New Treatment Has Over 90% Success Rate
: Eating Watermelon Can Help Control High Blood Pressure
April 11, 2014
Rabbi Hillel Goldberg: Silence is much more than golden
: How to value a child for who he is, not just what he does
: A Simple Blood Test Might Soon Diagnose Cancer
: Have A Slow Metabolism? Let Science Speed It Up For You
April 9, 2014
Jonathan Tobin: Why Did Kerry Lie About Israeli Blame?
Samuel G. Freedman
: A resolution 70 years later for a father's unsettling legacy of ashes from Dachau
: A resolution 70 years later for a father's unsettling legacy of ashes from Dachau
: How Beans, Peas, And Chickpeas Cleanse Bad Cholesterol and Lowers Risk of Heart Disease
April 8, 2014
Coffee Drinkers Rejoice! Your Cup Of Joe Can Prevent Death From Liver Disease
Electric 'Thinking Cap' Puts Your Brain Power Into High Gear
April 4, 2014
A life of love: How to build lasting relationships with your children
Older Women: Save Your Heart, Prevent Stroke Don't Drink Diet
Why 50 million Americans will still have spring allergies after taking meds
Teacher keeps promise to mail thousands of former students letters written by their past selves
April 2, 2014
Should South Carolina Jews be forced to maintain this chimney built by Germans serving the Nazis?
Get happy: 20 scientifically proven happiness activities
It's Genetic! Obesity and the 'Carb Breakdown' Gene
Jewish World Review
April 22, 2013/ 12 Iyar, 5773
Philadelphia abortion monster isn't an exception
Kirsten Powers has done a national service, by virtue of her now-famous USA Today column, in getting the trial of abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell on the national radar screen.
This, of course, is the horror story of a cesspool in Philadelphia posturing as an abortion clinic, operating without inspection for 17 years. Gosnell, the doctor who ran the place, is formally charged with murdering one woman and seven infants.
However, the grand jury report and testimony of family and staff at the trial indicate that if there were records in this dump, where life and death were meted out daily, Gosnell would be indicted for hundreds of murders of live children.
Most likely, and sadly, this horror story will have its 15 minutes of fame and the nation will move on. The national press got dragged unwillingly to report it, finally, because of Powers' courageous column. But there is no way to keep it on a story it doesn't don't want to cover.
Maybe we can keep this story alive by keeping in mind a few things.
What was happening in Gosnell's Women's Medical Society clinic was not some bizarre exception to the rule.
You can ask Day Gardner, director of the Black Pro-life Union. Her life is dedicated to covering these realities. In her words: "This is not an exception. These realities are happening every day all over our country."
Despite the sense that no one was paying attention to the Gosnell story before Powers wrote about it, know that Gardner, Alveda King and other pro-life activists were demonstrating outside Gosnell's clinic as early as February 2011.
They held a press conference about the trial on April 4, a week before Powers' column appeared. King wrote in her blog the day before that "...Rev. Clenard Childress and Dr. Day Gardner...are in Philadelphia reporting on the Kermit Gosnell trial that the mainstream media is virtually ignoring."
Just this week, The Washington Times reported that Gosnell-like conditions have existed at a Planned Parenthood abortion clinic in Vice President Joe Biden's own backyard in Delaware.
The Times reports, "Abortions have been suspended at a Delaware Planned Parenthood, after several 911 calls made from within the clinic prompted a new investigation by Health and Human Services."
Two nurses quit to protect their licenses, one saying, "I couldn't tell you how ridiculously unsafe it was."
According to the story, "Since Jan. 4, five patients have been rushed to the emergency room."
Last year, pro-life activists worked assiduously to get press attention on the death of 24-year-old Tonya Reaves, who died after a botched abortion procedure at a Chicago Planned Parenthood clinic.
These realities persist for two reasons.
One, we still as a nation are willing to tolerate the reality of abortion. We still allow ourselves to believe that Gosnell should be convicted of murder because he botched an abortion, the live child was born, and he still destroyed it. But that somehow it would have been okay if that same child died while still in the womb.
And two, the squalid conditions allowing this butchery to take place all over the nation persist for the same reason that the Gosnell trial almost went uncovered. The press does not want to report about the gruesome truths of abortion. And, because it occurs disproportionately among low income, minority women, it has even less interested.
We can, at minimum, do something as a nation today. We can stop allowing our tax dollars to fund the nation's largest abortion provider, Planned Parenthood.
According to Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., who has submitted a bill to stop funding Planned Parenthood, "Every 94 seconds, Planned Parenthood performs an abortion. In that same amount of time, the federal government gives Planned Parenthood more than $1,600."
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Star Parker is an author and president of CURE, Center for Urban Renewal and Education.
• 04/15/13 Making Ben Carson cry 'Uncle' . . . Tom
• 04/08/13 Gang of 8 illegal alien proposal makes a bad situation even worse
• 04/01/13 Ending the enforcement of government-funded brainwashing
• 03/25/13 Pay attention, America, to the pathology for which low-income minority Americans are paying the dearest price
• 03/18/13 Let Israel trip open President Obama's eyes
• 03/11/13 The problem are the nuts, not the 'gun nuts'
• 03/04/13 P reserve gun rights, save black rights
• 02/25/13 Is the last line of Republican resistance to ObamaCare disintegrating?
• 02/18/13 Presidential Medal of Freedom winner owes Obama no apology
• 02/11/13 Does the Republican Party have a future?
• 02/04/13 Push for gun control misplaces blame
• 01/28/13 How the GOP can help destroy America
• 01/21/13 Are MLK's Christian values welcome today?
• 01/14/13 Roe v. Wade, 40 years later
• 01/07/13 D.C. is de-tached . . . from reality
• 12/31/12 Blacks are NRA's natural constituency
• 12/24/12The lesson of Newtown isn't guns. It's that there are social truths as well as individual truths
• 12/17/12 We must fight to restore America
• 12/07/12 Wonderful, innovative, compassionate --- and irresponsibly wrong
• 12/03/12 The Republican Hispanic challenge
• 11/26/12 A society in decline: Our definition of marriage should follow process, not principle?
• 11/19/12 Leadership is about identifying the truth, believing it and telling it in a way that people can grasp
• 11/11/12 How conservatives can win over blacks and Latinos
• 11/05/12 Racial divide has worsened under Obama
• 10/29/12 How trillions are poured down a black hole
• 10/21/12 Missouri Senate race model for the nation
• 10/15/12 On the road to 'death panels'
• 10/08/12 Why the Obama bubble still hasn't burst
• 10/01/12 To promote freedom abroad, practice it here
• 09/24/12 A time for truth, not word games
• 08/20/12 America ready for Paul Ryan's adult conversation
• 08/13/12 Our economic crisis is a values crisis
• 08/06/12 Black pastors press Democrats on gay marriage
• 07/30/12 Is Christianity now un-American?
• 07/23/12 Entrepreneurs, not politicians, build the nation's prosperity
• 07/16/12 The new American food stamp plantation
• 07/09/12 In search of conservative leadership
• 07/02/12 Light v. darkness in racial politics
• 06/25/12 Republicans missing chance on education
• 06/11/12: Raise levels of personal responsibility, not the minimum wage
• 06/11/12: Free societies soon won't be free if its citizens see freedom as something that should be of responsibility
• 06/04/12: Americans have become decidedly more pro-life
• 05/28/12: Booker's comments about Bain, capitalism should not surprise
• 05/21/12: Obama forcing blacks to make hard choices
• 05/14/12: Fairness? The struggle in our public spaces is about competing worldviews, not neutrality
• 05/07/12: Morality and economy are separate universes?
• 04/30/12: How to keep the poor poor
• 04/23/12: Obama's real 'stay-at-home mom' problem
• 04/16/12: Obama makes foul call for economic 'fairness'
• 04/09/12: GOP's black, Hispanic problem
• 04/02/12: A wakeup call to a nation still sleeping through a crisis
• 03/26/12: Supremes to confront new, energetic efforts to undermine the principles upon which this nation stands
• 03/19/12: Republican race is just getting started
• 03/12/12: Contraception flap 'defines deviancy down'
• 03/05/12: Breitbart's final message to the Left
• 02/27/12: Support for Santorum will grow despite attacks
• 02/20/12: Libs' recent victories fuel Santorum surge
• 02/06/12: Memo to Mitt: Whole nation is on government plantation
• 01/30/12: Obama's vision puts America last
• 01/23/12: Court ruling on ultrasound law worth celebrating
• 01/16/12: Capitalism on trial
• 01/09/12: NAACP plantation masters play race card again
• 01/02/12: Youths' support for Ron Paul is misplaced
• 12/26/11: In search of an ambiguous conservative leader
• 12/19/11: Thank U.S. troops, notably wounded warriors
• 12/12/11: Land of the envious and home of the victim
• 12/05/11: Payroll tax cut is another welfare scam
• 11/28/11: Pray every day that America does not lose its way
• 11/21/11: We're ignoring the Constitution
• 11/14/11: The central issue of our time will define the 2012 presidential election
• 11/07/11: Separation of . . . morality and economy?
• 10/31/11: Every American should listen to Paul Ryan
• 10/24/11: Disrespect for life and disrespect for property go hand in hand
• 10/17/11:The right argument for Cain
• 10/10/11: Occupy Wall Street: More from the culture of narcissism
• 10/03/11: Why so many blacks continue to fail
• 09/26/11: So many GOP debates, so few candidate revelations
• 09/19/11: The the last vestige of the triumph of hope over experience is throwing itself a party. They'll be passing out palms-up portions of pity, but few solutions
• 09/12/11: I'll defend Perry on Social Security Ponzi scheme
• 09/05/11: Marco Rubio's Courageous speech
• 08/28/11: The Steve Jobs/Martin Luther King Jr. Connection
• 08/19/11: Blacks' dilemma with Obama
© 2013, SCRIPPS HOWARD NEWS SERVICE