Jewish World Review April 6, 2012/ 14 Nissan, 5772
Team Obama plays energy policy for laughs
By Deroy Murdock
http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | From the sublime to the ridiculous, the Obama administration's energy policy has devolved into self-parody.
President Barack Obama recently announced that he would accelerate the construction of -- ta da! -- the southern half of the Keystone XL Pipeline. This portion, conveniently enough, does not reach Canada, which yearns to send America petroleum from its oil sands in Alberta. Obama's move is like building an airport runway while banning the taxiway that would connect it to the passenger terminal.
The only thing sillier than Obama's plan would have been announcing it while wearing pants, but nothing north of his waist.
Obama, naturally, shirks responsibility for keeping Keystone a pipe dream. As he claims, "The rushed and arbitrary deadline insisted on by congressional Republicans prevented a full assessment of the pipeline's impact."
Team Obama has had its entire tenure to study Keystone. As a State Department time line confirms, it received TransCanada's Keystone application on Sept. 19, 2008, under President George W. Bush. As Obama was inaugurated on Jan. 20, 2009, Washington already had evaluated Keystone for four months and one day. It weighed Keystone for nearly three more years, whereupon Obama claimed that GOP monsters forced him into a snap judgment within 60 days of last Dec. 23's payroll-tax holiday legislation. So, on Jan. 18 Obama spiked Keystone rather than decide too quickly.
"John Boehner ate my homework" is neither a policy nor an excuse.
Facing high gasoline prices, Obama says, "We can't simply drill our way out of the problem" while bragging that "We're drilling all over the place."
As if to underscore this non sequitur, Obama spoke March 21 in Maljamar, N.M. before at least a half dozen oil wells. This was a gripping visual, except that the wells stood perfectly still. Motionless oil wells. What a perfect, Obamaite metaphor. According to the Institute for Energy Research, oil production grew 14 percent on private property last year. However, it shrank 11 percent on federal acreage, which is controlled by Obama.
An average gallon of gasoline has climbed from $1.84 when Obama entered office to $3.94 today. Despite this 114 percent increase, Energy Secretary Steven Chu told a House hearing, "I would give myself a little higher" than an A-minus on fuel prices.
Week by week, today's mounting costs are fulfilling Chu's Christmas wish, famously whispered to the Wall Street Journal in December 2008, that "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe." According to the House Republican Study Committee, drivers in France now pay about $7.80 per gallon. Germans shell out $8.10 while Italian motorists surrender $9 for a gallon of gas. Perhaps this is why Chu has abandoned his former, potentially toxic words. "I no longer share that view," he told senators last month.
Chu's department has subsidized at least eight green-energy companies that have gone bankrupt. While electric-car manufacturer Fisker has avoided Chapter 11, it hardly is enjoying life in the fast lane.
Although Fisker got a $529 million loan guarantee from Energy, of which it had drawn $169 million, Consumer Reporter wrote, "Our Fisker Karma cost us $107,850...We buy about 80 cars a year, and this is the first time in memory that we have had a car that is un-drivable before it has finished our check-in process." In February, Fisker halted production at its Delaware plant and sacked 26 workers.
"We're beginning to sequence the microorganisms in the gut of a termite," Chu explained. Someday, Chu envisioned, microbes inside termite intestines could be modified to convert cellulose into ethanol.
Scary? You bet!
Chu confessed, "This has sort of a Frankenstein air to it."
Behold Team Obama's "Hope and change" battle cry for 2012:
"Put a termite in your tank!"
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Deroy Murdock is a columnist with Scripps Howard News Service and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University.
• 03/30/12: Twitchy Dems need to let workers put tax-cut money in retirement funds
• 03/23/12: Why not $100-an-hour minimum wage?
• 03/15/12: The real (high) cost of Obama's health care act
• 03/09/12: Race-baiting Dems oppose voter ID
• 03/02/12: Forget kids --- today's debt hurts adults
• 02/24/12: Dems arise against Obamacare
• 02/17/12: The voting dead are understated
• 02/10/12: Holder takes on 'racist' photo-ID cards: Prejudice is widespread --- even Obama backed them
• 02/03/12: On tax plans, Gingrich trumps Romney
• 01/27/12: Photo IDs can protect elections, let dead rest
• 01/20/12: Romney runs hot and cold on global warming
• 01/13/12: Economic freedom declines in U.S.
• 01/06/12: Time to yank off Mitt's mask
• 12/23/11: Boehner hands Dems a gift
• 12/15/11: The U.S. could learn much from Hong Kong
• 12/09/11:$687 billion is available to Congress free of strings
• 12/02/11: Obama criticizes Wall Street but takes money from it
• 11/18/11: Puerto Rico shows Washington the way
• 11/11/11: Take heed, America: In Ohio even left-wing unionists voted to repeal ObamaCare
• 10/28/11: Thanks, Netanyahu, for surge of hardened terrorists
• 10/24/11:The Obama Spend-O-Rama
• 10/17/11: Cain stakes his viable claim just by showing up
• 10/07/11: Green jobs are national scandal
• 10/04/11: Obama proudly declares class war
• 09/23/11: Obama wrong about Do-Nothing Congress
• 09/16/11: Obama needs Ryan's vision on jobs
• 09/09/11: Reaganomics trounces Obamanomics
• 09/02/11: Labor leaders to Obama: Stop killing jobs
• 08/26/11: Pro-market Perry vaults over Romney in GOP race
• 08/19/11: Some rich Americans will not rest until Washington boosts their taxes
• 08/12/11: Hope, change and free birth control for all
• 08/05/11: Debt deal does virtually nothing
• 07/21/11: Dems pro-choice on abortion but little else
• 07/15/11: Debt deception: If only Dems were honest and GOPers were courageous
• 07/08/11: Congress' war on light bulb blows up
© 2011, SCRIPPS HOWARD NEWS SERVICE