Test your nutrition IQ: Test your knowledge of freezing foods
By Sam McManis
http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | Winter is over, but we're still feeling the chill here at The Quiz. So what better time than now to test your knowledge of freezing foods, courtesy of the USDA.
1. Which food can stay in the freezer the longest without losing flavor and nutritional value?
b) Uncooked chicken
c) Frozen dinner
2. What is the minimum temperature a freezer needs to be set at to ensure food safety?
a) Minus 20 degrees
b) Minus 10 degrees
c) Zero degrees
3. What causes freezer burn on stored foods?
a) The use of tinfoil rather than plastic wrap for storage
b) Air coming in contact with the food's surface
c) Placing the food in the freezer while it is still heated
4. Which food is said by the USDA to "not freeze well?"
c) Mashed potatoes
5. Which food is deemed to be impossible to freeze?
a) Eggs in the shell
c) Whipped cream
ANSWERS: 1: b (chicken 12 months; frozen dinner 3-4 months; soup 2-3 months); 2: c; 3: b; 4: b; 5: a.
Source: www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/ Focus_On_Freezing/index.as
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Power Food Pairs © 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Power Food Pairs
© 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services